Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RiddleFish

intermediate line?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Guess it maybe depends on where you will be casting from and how u cast. Most of mine is surf and some back bay. SA striper and/or Rio Outbound are my choices. Both are about $70 and $75 respectively. But for the price and you are fairly new to fly fishing, you can always do a Cortland 444 for around $55.

View PostThere aren't really any bad lines on the market. Grab one and go fishing.

Since you are new to the sport, I would suggest you don't run out and spend $70 for a high end line. You can buy much cheaper lines and they should suit you just fine. The lower end Scientific Anglers lines are around $26. I would suggest that for the price of one high end intermediate line, you should instead buy an intermediate line and a floating line. I have an SA AirCel floating line that I use on my 9wt and it is a perfectly fine line. I also have one that I use for throwing bass bugs to largemouth and smallmouth. I also have a WetCel sinking line that I use for freshwater streamer fishing. Orvis Clearwater is another cheap line. I don't have any for the salt, but I do have a 5wt floater that I have been using for trout fishing for almost ten years now.

Depends on where you fish and under what conditions. My last 2-3 have been clear though, and the line pretty much disappears in the water.

the cortland 444 clear camo is a great intermediate line. it is slick, doesn't have alot of memory, and is fairly priced, if you can find them.

Orvis clear intermediate for cooler waters is good, as is scientific anglers striper line. Both are made for the cooler waters we have up here, and retail for about 60 bucks....

Clear is not a good choice for a newbie IMO.. They need to see the line more when casting than someone experienced. If you must go clear get the best of both worlds and go with the Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper Lost Tip.. Same taper as the BTT except it has a 12ft intermediate clear head.

Airflow Cold Saltwater ridge is also very good.

Not sure I get the problem with backing fading into the flyline. I always kinda liked that. It usually only discolors the last few feet of the flyline. When I am stripping line on deck to fish I always know where I am, when I start to see some color. Then I know it's time to cast.