Before I screw this up.....

Rate this topic

Mokes

I am about to Etex my 1st plug. I'm semi-nervous.

Here is what I have gleaned from Search....

Mix WELL!!!

Mix in one cup, pour into another to finish mixing.

Here is where I get confused though.

Do I brush this on over my grommets?

If I put a straw i the belly hole, will that straw get stuck real good?

Will gloss rattle paint make the Etex not adhere properly?

For now I am gonna flip the plugs.

I need to build a little contraptiion to hold the plug, so I can brush it on I guess. Do I just paint it on basically and if I do a 2nd coat, I just lightly sand?

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

Put a piece of coat hanger wire through the middle so you can hold the plug while you work with it. I would make sure you defiantly mix it very well and then mix it some more. I'm not sure about pouring from one cup to the another is necessary. Sounds like your doing a small, one plug batch. Equal parts ar very important.mix up about 4 ML of each part in a small little cup like jello shooter cup or cough medicine measure cup, I seem to have a lot of them. Equal parts are very important I said this twice for a reason. use a brush sort of glob it on and then spread it over entire lure evenly. once you have a good covering give it a final going over start from one end and go all the way to the other in one long slow stroke. then do another right next to the other stroke like your mowing the lawn. these long strokes will kind of squeegee some off and that's ok I usually go around the belly grommet with the brush first and coat right up to it touching it but don't let any drip in and then avoid brushing over it while you do the final long strokes. If any drips start to form before you turn it the first time and they probably will. I would take them off with the same wet brush. only do this at the first turn once it starts to thicken it is not a good idea.

View Posta piece of coat hanger wire ... don't let any drip in

if you let it drip in, the coat hanger wire might become a permanent part of the plug. Don't ask me how i know.redface.gif

"If you know that and you don't know anything else you know more than if you know everything else and you don't know that."

View Postif you let it drip in, the coat hanger wire might become a permanent part of the plug. Don't ask me how i know.redface.gif

Now I'm worried, lol. That MAY of happened. What's done is done I guess. Let us pray.

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

I may have success!! Seems to have stopped moving and boy is it shiny!! Much better looking than Polycrylic tbh.

Little more work, but hopefully, this will provide a more durable finish. I want to give plugs away that I know will catch fish, but not before I can dial in the durability a bit.

Is 1 coat enough? Take a couple days to cure?

-Numbnuts

I have put up to 4 on I usually do 2 some times 3 it does add a little weight. I would say at least two IMO. I don't sand between coats unless there is a little defect i want to remove you can if you want and you will not see any of the sandpaper marks once it is recoated. be careful around the corners when sanding and I mean don't go over the corners or edges with the sand paper cause it may chew right down to the wood and then your stuck with that under your finish. you can still recoat and use but it is very hard or impossible to touch up that paint once you sand through the finish, paint and into the wood. A lot of of my lures I fish bear these scares Since I wont sell lures like that, they go in my bag or a buddies.

View PostI may have success!! Seems to have stopped moving and boy is it shiny!! Much better looking than Polycrylic tbh.

Little more work, but hopefully, this will provide a more durable finish. I want to give plugs away that I know will catch fish, but not before I can dial in the durability a bit.

Is 1 coat enough? Take a couple days to cure?

I usually do 2 coats with etex and I'm happy with its durability. I believe the instructions recommend 48 hours of cure time for full strength.

I do not mix the amounts in two separate containers and join as you mentioned. I'm sure its works fine but I was always concerned that I wouldn't get all of it out of one and thus have an unequal amount when mixing redface.gif .

I use the medicine measuring cups that come with kids medicine. They are graduated in cc, ml and tsp and so you could add 7.5 ml of hardener and then add resin up to 15 ml.

Perfect for for if you're mixing 10ml, 15ml, 20ml or up to 30ml at a clip. The pharmacies do sell a sleeve 100 for $3.

Should I wait the full 2 days before a recoat? I'm so damn impatient, lol.cwm31.gif

-Numbnuts

View Postclear up to and around the edge of the grommet

the straw won't get stuck

gloss paint doesn't like clear..u need to lightly stuff first to give it half a chance to stick.

I am going to go out and grab a few cans of flat. So far I hadn't seen any issues with the CC peeling, but I'd rather not have to worry.

Once I get an airbrush I won't have these issues. Really dying to paint some pearls.

I'm kinda worried about my addiction to this. I'm litterally dreaming about plugs now. redface.gif And to think I have only barely scratched the surface of building lures.....cwm31.gif

-Numbnuts

View Post^^It's a nice day maybe you should go fish for a few hoursbiggrin.gif

Gonna go to our Town's parade in a couple hours and I gotta do some yardwork.

I'm going to take the Yak out late afternoon for a little bass fishing. I love kayaking. biggrin.gif

Which makes me think about how I need to make a smaller bass lure I can use from the Yak....lol....AUUGH!!!

-Numbnuts