Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arc1

abu 7000 removing the idler gear??

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have an abu 7000n and want to remove the idler gear in the left sideplate. I read a post about threading some heavy line around it and pulling it off, but this technique doesn't seem to be workking for me. Should it just pop off? I don't want to apply too much force. Any help would be much appreciated.

By the way, I have been enjoying reading many of the threads regarding abus and distance casting. Even though you guys are on the other side of the globe and have different fish species to target, the same theories apply. And I find some of your takes on things interesting.

Thanks. Jeremy.

Just cut it off.

Use an exacto knife. There is a lip at the top of the gear that holds it on the post.

Rotate the gear and push down on the lip with knife.

Once the lip is off the gear can lifted right off.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to remove it without damage so if I want to but it back later, I can. From what I can tell some replace it by adding a circlip. Is this right? Is there a grove in the top of the shaft to retain a small circlip?

If you do not want to damage the cog wheel, this is how I do it. I use 25 or 30lb test, tie off about 15 to 18", loop it on either side of the cog wheel, stick a wrench under the line to get some leverage, and give her a good pull. I can snap a pic if you can't visualize what it should look like, just let me know.

I tried this to some degree and decided to stop as I was applying quite a lot of pressure. However maybe it wasn't even pressure. I'll try again with something to hang on to. Thanks for your reply.

View PostI tried this to some degree and decided to stop as I was applying quite a lot of pressure. However maybe it wasn't even pressure. I'll try again with something to hang on to. Thanks for your reply.

Even pressure is very important. Loop the mono around each side of the cog wheel on either side of the pin. The wrench makes it easier to apply the pressure. It takes alot of pressure.

There are several cases where the rodster has pulled the post out of the side plate, with the gear still attached !! A fun result. Leaves the sport wide open for ridicule, and bad jokes about stupidity, etc.

Steady, constant pressure, coupled with an uneven pull (cordage not equal and opposite under the gear, and offset upward pull) sets up the failure.

One is best to cut off the gear, and re-affix with an e-clip if the gear's still good, or cut off the dimple on the new gear before install.

If pulling is your choice, I suggest you pretend the gear is a tooth, use a 12" cord, lower to 6", and literally _jerk_ the gear off the post. That way, the pressure is instantaneous, and strong, minimizing the chance to pull the post out.