Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Railrider1920

Question about grommets + wire bending pliers

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey Folks,

I went into a craft store today looking for wire bending pliers. What I found were pliers geared for the person making jewelery. Think these would work for bending the wire used in plugs?

bd0610.jpg

While there, I found some grommets in their leather working area. No idea what material they are made of, but looks like it might be nickel or nickel plated something. No idea of the size either. They look like the image below. Think these would be a decent item to start off with? They were $1.77 for a bag of about 50.

Thanks for any opinions offered

Rob

1286-88.jpg

I would recommend getting the knipex round nosed pliers, There kind of like those ones in the picture only way better and worth the extra money. As for the grommets you would have to find out the collar diameter and cross reference it with one of the the plug building suppliers websites. I'm pretty sure I use a 7/32" grommet for most of my small stuff can't remember off the top of my head, I forgot what size the larger ones are maybe someone else will chime in HappyWave.gif

The pliers are weak and won't stand up to the wire we use

The grommets are plated and rust out very quickly.

You can get the pliers at Sears. The Craftsman model is inexpensive and will hold up forever.

Solid brass grommets can be found on line.

View PostThanks sportguy33. Good thing to keep in mind.

When making Freshwater lures that I will use small hooks on I forgo the Belly grommets all together and just drill a 1/4 inch hole and just make sure the epoxy rolls over in the the hole.

Grommets are worthless. Whoever started using them for plugs should be ashamed. If your lure fails at the grommet before being smashed in to rocks, eaten by toothy critters, stolen by toothy critters, dropped on the rocks or floor more times than you can count.....and for those that hang unused pretty painted plugs on the wall, who wants a shinny hunk of mettle on the bottom of the plug?

I read posts of people trying to pinch pennies and save money on tools, epoxy, sealer...but people keep spending couch change on grommets over and over...

rant over...

Since I have never used them yet, I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the grommet is there to protect the wood and finish. If you don't use a grommet, have you noticed any problems with the wood or finish getting messed up? What do you do, put extra epoxy where the grommet would usually go?

View PostGrommets are worthless. Whoever started using them for plugs should be ashamed. If your lure fails at the grommet before being smashed in to rocks, eaten by toothy critters, stolen by toothy critters, dropped on the rocks or floor more times than you can count.....and for those that hang unused pretty painted plugs on the wall, who wants a shinny hunk of mettle on the bottom of the plug?

I read posts of people trying to pinch pennies and save money on tools, epoxy, sealer...but people keep spending couch change on grommets over and over...

rant over...

Some people just like a "finished" look. There is no rule that states grommets must be used. Be yourself, do it the way you want. Others will do the same.

When I am clear coating my plugs, I epoxy over the grommets. I like the feel of the smooth edges and the blending it allows. It appears to be more "hobby" than "building". Every plug builder has his own way of doing things and his plugs can be identified by others by sight. You want to be the best that you can be.

Thanks Charleston. Yeah, to each his own I guess. Maybe I'll try out the cheap ones to see if I like them and move on to the better ones that won't rust if I decide to go that route.

Thanks everyone for your opinions