Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pierfisherman

inexpensive baitcaster

20 posts in this topic

I have a reel-less Shimano Convergence '6"6 rod laying around. I'd like to use it for bass and small catfish. What inexpensive reel would you recommend, I am thinking a Okuma Alumina, it looks VERY good for the price.

go for a lower end shimano or daiwa. The okuma is close to 100 bucks already w/ tax. Abu has some nice baicaster too, you may wanna check them out, 30 more bucks will get you a revo s which is better than good wink.gif. abu black max is pretty decent for $50 if you wanna save for bait.

shimano citica is also a good contestant for 120 bucks.

View Postgo for a lower end shimano or daiwa. The okuma is close to 100 bucks already w/ tax. Abu has some nice baicaster too, you may wanna check them out, 30 more bucks will get you a revo s which is better than good wink.gif. abu black max is pretty decent for $50 if you wanna save for bait.

shimano citica is also a good contestant for 120 bucks.

go with the Daiwa Strikeforce - SF100HA

GREAT reel for the price.

Bass Pro shops Pro Qualifier $79 on sale right now. I've got two of them that I've been using for the last two years. Its actually a generic Revo. I've caught hundreds of fish on them with zero problems. 12 lb test is the sweet spot.

If you're gonna use 15lb to 17 lb test, you can't beat abu 5500 or 6500.

View PostI have a reel-less Shimano Convergence '6"6 rod laying around. I'd like to use it for bass and small catfish. What inexpensive reel would you recommend, I am thinking a Okuma Alumina, it looks VERY good for the price.

Dear pier,

You didn't mention what pound test line you are going to use on that rod? You also didn't say that you want a bait clicker which is pretty much an essential item for bottom fishing.

Check the BST trade forum here to see what comes up on the cheap or buy a TICA reel since they are about the only bait casting reel still made that offers a bait clicker. Plus they are round like a bait casting reel should be! ;-) They sell them through the SOL on-line store and they are very nice reels.

Regards,

Tim Murphysmile.gif

View PostBass Pro shops Pro Qualifier $79 on sale right now. I've got two of them that I've been using for the last two years. Its actually a generic Revo. I've caught hundreds of fish on them with zero problems. 12 lb test is the sweet spot.

Couldn't agree more. A great reel for the money and use 12lb as Finfinder suggested icon14.gif

Although its a little more costly than the bps brands, I heart.gif my Shimano Citica. It runs a little more than $100 yet I feel like it will last for years to come, and it is very easy to work with. No gimmicks, and a powerful little machine

Abu 5500C. Won't break the bank and will last you forever. I just returned 2 BPS reels and won't buy another. One was a baitcaster and the other a spinner. They were inexpensive but CHEAP.

Dean

View PostAnd I have a used Shimano Currado I would part with for $60 shipped. If interested I will post pictures. It is barely used and in excellent condition. I think I paid about $110 new.

Thanks!

Ctown

dude this isnt BST

Bass Pro Shops carbonlite baitcaster its 6.7oz very light and casts like a bullet. I love this reel!

Also, Abu Garcia Revo S, this one is my go to baitcaster.