Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Betterthanclimber82

Snap offs

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Ok - so I've hesitated with this post b/c mostly of my pride but I don't want to lose another plug. I've never snapped a plug off my set up unless it was just plain bad luck - ridiculous tangle etc. Recently I switched to a 10 '6 moderate action / power and have since lost two beautiful plugs. "SNAP" Wow - I sure can cast far - especially when my plug is no longer attached to my line.

Not a hug fan of leaders - but I snapped one off with a 30lb fluoro and one without.

...is my timing off with this rod? I have been casting with a 9 and 10 the last couple years - no idea. help me out here...and both times it was a snap above the knot.

you can understand if you lost one of those lures you've had for years...lot's of good fish mojo...and now she left me. lol.

fishing 30 lb braid with a vs 200 / st croix ledgend 10 '6

What kind of reel? Is it a spinner with the bail snapping shut?

Sorry, re-read the post and see a VS. I haven't a clue unless the tiptop guide has a cracked insert.

If you're tying flouro or mono direct to braid it could be that the extra length you've got is just more power than the connection can handle.

Try doing the shock leader thing....run the flouro or mono which you're connecting the plug to around the spool about 10 times or so. The extra force being generated in your cast will be absorbed by the line where the weak point (the knot) is not.

u should fish with a swivel.briad to the swivel then about 40" of mono or fluoro to a breakaway clip.also check your line it maybe rapping on your tip this will cause a snapoff.

I fish with my vs200 on a 9'rod now and it has 40 pound power pro I tie a swivel on and 50 pound mono witha breakaway clip never lost a plug.

It could be bad line. Is it frayed and or faded. It may be a bad guide insert. (Good advise with the Q tip). You may have wrapped the tip or the line roller or counter weight. When I pull the braid off my line roller,while rotating the rotor cup I always wiggle my finger to make sure the line is flowing thru the guides before casting. A good habit to get into.

View Postget rid of the #30lb, it know for tisting and breaking, go up to 12/50 and you have no problems. I have same issue every single time i put 10/30 on!

I have used 30# for many years without incident.

I would guess you are simply testing a new rod and you are casting 3, 3 1/2 or 4oz. lures, with a really quick snap at the end of the cast--to get the max. out of the rod. Under those conditions you may be testing your 30# braid as well. (?)--I don't know.

top guide ismost likely chipped.Pull your line through the guide and floss all around the top guide.If it breaks you need a new top guide.Sometimes it's a small chip but it slices braid like a razor.

Great suggestions - Q-tip worked like a charm - hair line crack. St. Croix (Ledgend Surf) should cover that under warranty right?...AND would you guys recommend that I respool with new braid considering the line may have been damaged elsewhere?

Thanks