Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tjsteiner04

Fort Armistead

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I have fished out of there. It can be dangerous there, but it is a free park, so what do you expect. Ft Smallwood is $5.00 to get in, unless they raised it recently.

Very dangerous place. It is not very deep and there aren't many trophy fish. Mostly small Rockfish and white perch. There is a new pier and extensive shoreline opportunities. Fair crabbing. Oh yeah, the Rockfish love liver here.

Nice views of the Key bridge and some fort? out in the middle of the drink.

I ve heard of a few yakkers cars being broken into while they were out.

Drive the 8 miles down Ft Smallwood Rd to the park, and pay the $6.00 and have peace of mind.

I love it there.. The people are always friendly and always catch something big..Either Cat , drum have started to get caught alot and the strippers are getting pull in on the regular 18-20 in. Mostly Croker and some spot though but its loads of fun..I catch more and have more fun there then when I go out sandy point. If you follow the rules and dont fish after dark there then you will be fine. I never had any problems and Iam there about a min of twice a week. So if you wanna fish where everyone cheer u on when your pulling in a nice catch try Armstead if you anna be left alone go to the par. Everytime I go I meet someone that That we end up friends or a Good fishing partner.

Times have changed. I used to fish there quite a bit, and at night, before all the improvements. Never had any problems, but then I'm a big guy and was a lot younger back then, so rarely have had problems anyway. I've seen some unsavory types a few times, but never had a problem. A buddy & I fished there quite a bit & at Ft Smallwood, and occasionally caught some decent size fish. Most were catfish, and some white perch. We also caught snapper blues, sometimes Spot & Croakers & some keeper size Rockfish depending on the time of year. We fished at Ft Smallwood, and at night even though the park was closed at night. Had a Baltimore City police officer who was also an avid angler come by many nights, ( it was still owned by the city, so that's how long it's been) he was supposed to run people out, but would come find us just to see how the fishing was. He told us as long as we didn't leave any trash, or had any alcohol, he would not run us out, but other officers might. Real cool guy & we had some real good fishing discussions with him. He even reeled in a few fish when the bite got hot. I haven't been there in many years either.

I haven't been to Armistead since all the improvements, and recall a news report a few years back about an old black gentleman who was a frequent angler there being beat up by a couple of low life punks, and during the day. Perhaps the link posted was about that incident, but that link is no longer active. As I recall they said it was racially motivated. It happens no matter where you go, so you do have to be aware of those around you. Punks are punks no matter where they are! :mad:

Also be aware that the Patapsco River has had some sewage spill issues in the past year or so, and it's likely the water quality may not be the best. One of the reasons I quit going there, a spill many years back. The smell was so bad, just couldn't stand it.

Big Fisher, I'm glad to hear there are some decent people fishing there now. Most that I ever encountered were too, but most decent folks also stayed away after it got dark. There was stories even back then about the dangers there, but again, no one bothered us.

standing at ramp @ Ft Armistead, there ie a long pier just to your right with a small 'house' on the end. BIG WPs and channel cats under there (in the shade). Cast 2" twistertails on light jig head!!;)