Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rplace

In praise of flat wings

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

These have become by far the most effective fly for me surpassing every other fly I've tossed out this season. I have also been incredibly impressed with how well the feathers hold up. I just started getting into some good size blues this weekend and the only part of the fly to survive was a few strands of buck tail and the flat wing feathers. Time to tie some up with synthetics to see how they hold up.

Great to hear.... They are some good quality feathers. Them chickens are top knotch. Really glad they are available again. I tested some on blues this past weekend. Held up well.

While I certainly would not go so far as to say that flat wings are more effective than other flies, I started to fish some this year and the quality of the flies was far better than the flies I usually use.

I don't tie my own flies. Most of what I have was purchased at a fly shop, but lately I have been ordering flies from discount online retailers. I am sure the flies I buy online were made in a third world country and I would bet that a lot of the store bought flies are the same third world country flies at twice the price of the online places. This year I bought some flatwings from a guy who sells on ebay. Normally the clousers and deceivers I use will start to fall apart after about a dozen schoolies. I fished the flatwings hard all throughout the spring run, and the ones I managed not to lose look no worse for the wear after catching dozens of fish. The price I paid was very fair too, about $2 less per fly than I would expect to pay at my local shop.