Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

Question for fishermen who only flyfish...

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

This is kind of a spin off from a question in the main forum - but anyway, is there any single species you haven't caught yet, but desire so much to catch one, if need be, you'd forego flyfishing and catch that species with whatever technique would put that fish in your hands ('whatever technique'=with any type of rod and reel/live bait or lure...not with a net)? Or does everything you catch have to be on the fly.

Tarpon was on my hit list of 'just catch one by any means'...but now that I've done it, I'd probably move my tarpon urge to 'fly only'.

I'd rather catch our common NE species on the fly. But I have a unique thing with false albacore, which probably means I'm truly obsessed with the fish itself and not how I catch them - while I prefer to catch them on the fly rod, in reality I want to 'master' catching them with all methods of rod/reel angling...and in fact, on good days, I've often rotated around my methods...first with different types of flies, then lures on the spinning rod. And to show that it's not a 'confidence' thing, I usually start off with the fly rod and switch to the spinning rod once I've caught a couple...

No.

But saying that - when I fish with my wife on our flats boat casting to within 6"-12" of the mangroves (FL) we use baitcasting outfits because it is safer and I can't be that accurate with the fly rod. retrieving flys from mangroves is a PITA.

When it is quiet - she reads and I break out the fly rod.

Herb

Guess I would fall into the fly only catagory. I'd rather catch one fish on the fly than several on conventional. If I went out and couldn't hook up while the conventional guys are I would figure out what to do different for my next trip.

That being said I agree with HL. I'm on my way to the boat with my girlfriend and she doesn't fly fish so we will be soaking bait. BUT she will get bored and lay out and when she does I will break out the fly rod. That's probably the only time I will fish conventional.

Hmm...This is a good/fun question. I would gladly put down the fly rod if it meant I could catch anything over 4-5ft long while fishing out of the kayak. That would be a fun ride. Maybe the man eating river catfish...THE GOONCH!

I have been able to hook king salmon, northern pike, carp, LM & stripe bass, walleye,trout, panfish all on flies. I have not targeted any fish which i have been unable to catch here in NY.

Albacized, I don't think there is a single species I'm interested in that can't be caught on a fly rod and IMHO is a lot more fun on the fly. Tarpon are one of my favorite fish and I've caught them on every type of gear and I can say unequivocally that it is much more fun on fly gear. The direct feel of the fish with fly line in hand, being able to feel the fish without gears to isolate you from the fish adds so much to the experience and fun of fighting the fish especially a big strong fish.

View PostAlbacized, I don't think there is a single species I'm interested in that can't be caught on a fly rod and IMHO is a lot more fun on the fly. Tarpon are one of my favorite fish and I've caught them on every type of gear and I can say unequivocally that it is much more fun on fly gear. The direct feel of the fish with fly line in hand, being able to feel the fish without gears to isolate you from the fish adds so much to the experience and fun of fighting the fish especially a big strong fish.

I understand where you're coming from - but assume for a moment that you have never caught a tarpon before...you're standing on a catwalk of a bridge (30-40 ft above water in a situation where flyfishing is out of the question) and you're there with your significant other just to take in the scenery. You see dozens of tarpon; a guy offers you a spinning rod and says 'here, take a shot'. He'll help you land it on the rocks off the the side of the bridge (which is also too steep to flyfish from) - your significant other is ok if you momentarily interrupt your romantic moment to catch one of these fish...Do you take him up on his offer or pass up on the opportunity figuring that you'll find a more flyfish friendly area with tarpon someday?

Albacized I absolutely understand and I'd do the same thing in your shoes. I have caught plenty of fish on conventional when fly gear was out of the question. I've never regretted it but I have wished more of those catches had been on the long rod.

View PostAlbacized I absolutely understand and I'd do the same thing in your shoes. I have caught plenty of fish on conventional when fly gear was out of the question. I've never regretted it but I have wished more of those catches had been on the long rod.

I've definitely caught more than a few fish where I could very well have caught them on the fly rod had I just had the right rod in my hands...and like you, I don't really regret it, but wish a few of those were caught on the long wand. Some that come to mind include a few snook I took on spinning gear from the west coast of FL...My last time down was the only time I fully concentrated on catching them on the fly.

A huge flathead catfish.

Never caught a single one, but I was fascinated by them as a kid. I only fly fish now, but if I were to catch a flathead, not only would I try to use bait...that's the way I'd prefer to catch it. Big flatheads and bait are just meant for each other!

View PostAlbacized, I don't think there is a single species I'm interested in that can't be caught on a fly rod and IMHO is a lot more fun on the fly. Tarpon are one of my favorite fish and I've caught them on every type of gear and I can say unequivocally that it is much more fun on fly gear. The direct feel of the fish with fly line in hand, being able to feel the fish without gears to isolate you from the fish adds so much to the experience and fun of fighting the fish especially a big strong fish.

Just returned from the East Cape Baja and successfully landed a 40lb class oceanic jack crevalle on a fly. The entire fight lasted 40 minutes, and as the fish neared the boat and fought ever harder, I found it difficult to hold the rod and crank- especially no rod butt to lever off and the small cranking knob. Things that have I never even considered at all became real problems once hooked to a real bruiser.

The point being, although I am a devout fly guy, I think any strong ocean pelagic can be more quickly released using conventional gear and is more likely to survive the encounter.

Fly only for me. Although My desire to catch a striper on the fly has yet to come. Now when all the bait guys are hitting them on bait i catch myself saying damm i wish i had a bait rod. but i do know that nothing beats fooling a fish with some animal hair of some sort.

I set myself a goal of catching a striper, a blue and an albie on the fly this year ........................... i'm still waiting for one of them .

I converted over to strictly flyfishing last September, I find it very difficult not grabbing a spinning/conventional setup when I know I can hook-up easily with them (haven't sold all my gear...yet). Instead I've been fine tuning my fly skills to target saltwater species in and around Jersey waters. Last fall I've been rewarded with a couple of 20+lb stripers, 8-12lb albies and my first real big blues (20lbrs)on the fly. To say the least, it was my most memorable fall to date due to this.....all the rest of incredible fall's of years past kinda faded away after this one.

So this being said and with fluke season here, it's killing me again, but I will be going out with weighted flys with the int.line, bouyant flys with the T14/shooting head and working the channel edges and backwater creeks ISO keepers....and 2010 double digit flattie to keep the streak going.

To answer the original question, I have not fished this year if I was unable to fish via flyrod. It's been tough, but it has made me a better flyfisherman....Think I would pass on the flyrod and go conventional if the intended quarry was Goliath Grouper...or any other dumptruck with fins that would wrap me up, cut me off or loose all my flyline in less than 10 seconds. Other than that, I would probably skip the opportunity until I was properly geared up.

(p.s.- only one weakness to which I will pick up the conventional for regular day of fishing is deepwater wreck fishing, only a couple times a year I'll cheat togging it up biggrin.gif .