Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tomml4

Eels. How big is too big?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

View PostI caught a large eel in my trap last night. its about 14 inches long and 3 inches around

would i striper still hit it?

Skin it, fillet it and pan fry it (or better yet, just skin it and smoke it).....drool.gif

I'd never waste an eel that big as bait.

View PostFACT: bigger baits attract bigger fish.

I threw a huge dead pogie out once out of boredom while I was packing up. This was around 1am....

All of a sudden, my Baitrunner starts screaming!! I grab the pole, wondering wth just ate that huge pogie, lol.

Set the hook and held on........Never got a CHANCE to reel it it.....too big and too strong. Line finally cut. Pretty sure it was a shark of some sort. Felt like I hooked a small car....

If you tie a SS swivel to a 2-3' flouro to another SS swivel to a 18" mono, then attach a 3 way swivel-one with a teaser drop line ( about 6" ), and the eel on the one ( about 2' ), and troll it at 2 mph I'll eat it.

I'm 5'11" 185 lbs

View PostI threw a huge dead pogie out once out of boredom while I was packing up. This was around 1am....

All of a sudden, my Baitrunner starts screaming!! I grab the pole, wondering wth just ate that huge pogie, lol.

Set the hook and held on........Never got a CHANCE to reel it it.....too big and too strong. Line finally cut. Pretty sure it was a shark of some sort. Felt like I hooked a small car....

nahhh that was your 50 tongue.gif

as to the OP... big bait big fish... it might take a little while but it would get hitbiggrin.gif

A friend of mine and I catch big eels all the time and decided to cut them up in 2-3 inch pieces and chunk them off the surf and in the back of a river.....very deadly techniquedrool.gif . The bass love the chunked eel like they love chunked bunker. Give it a go, you will see what I am talking about. If you get a little crazy try chunking them off the jetty and let them sweep in the current, you will be rewarded.

I once caught a 28 1/4'' striper on a 14'' live hickory shad. I have never seen a fish so small on such a large bait. I would have had to work to get that bait in the fishes mouth myself. I also caught a 20'' rockfish in alaska on a 9'' cod.