Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1dozenraw

Batson SU and SUR blank question...

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

icon5.gifDifference between Batson SU and SUR blanks what is the difference in construction and ratings and action? Also,,, I see the SU 1208 talked about... is there an SUR 1208? Any info about these two blanks appreciated.

__________________I posted this in the rod building forum, but have gotten no responses, so figured I'd try here too. Thanks.

I have a couple of the SU1208s and it is a good jack of all trades for the canal. Also a tough rod that can take a bang. Handles large fish well in the current. The SU1208 is rated for 2 to 5 oz, 15 to 30 pound line, and is made of RX7 Graphite. This is a special order blank and I know of only one place that has them. Also found it to be a good rod for those hard running beachways.

The SUR1204F is the 10' model rated for 3/4 to 4 oz and is also RX7. As far as I know once you go past 9" the SUR blanks are all two piece. Never used one so Can't tell you anything about the performance.

The sur models have beefier backbone and reinforced ferule. They are much heavier (in weight) than the su models. I believe they have more e-glass blended into the blank. The lure ratings of their sur blanks are inconsistent. For example- the 1569 is rated for 6-16 ozcwm31.gif. I would not throw over 10 oz. At the other end of the spectrum, the 1083 is rated for 1/2-2 1/2 oz. I've thrown 3 1/2 oz plugs with no problems. If you know someone that has a model your interested in, I would recommend you feel or test cast a completed rod before purchasing.

Personally, I prefer the su models. I have a 1569, two 1418, two 1267, and one 1087. All made in USA. If you like all stars, the su models are very compatible. I have a couple of all stars 1418heart.gif that I will take to my grave.

Kevin, I can't tell ya about those. But I had a custom conventional built on a Batson/Rainshadow SW 1208 M, one piece, last year that handles 2-5 with ease.smile.gif

I believe that the SUR has the reinforced ferrule.

I have both the SU1569F and the SUR1569F and the SUR is evident of a different stronger wrapped ferrule on the bottom of the top half of the pole.

View PostKevin, I can't tell ya about those. But I had a custom conventional built on a Batson/Rainshadow SW 1208 M, one piece, last year that handles 2-5 with ease.smile.gif

There was an SU1208 on the other site and I did some research and saw that the SU had been replaced by the SUR series. From what I'm gathering, the SU is quite close to the discontinued US AllStar blanks and is all graphite. The SUR....well I am not sure if it is also graphite or graphite glass composite. I am told it is not similar to the AllStar. Anyway... thanks for all this info and a PM with more. Great site this SOL!!!clapping.gifclapping.gifhighfive.gif