Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff W

Lamson Velocity Hard Alox owners

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Old version, not the new one. I really like this reel but I've been having some issues with the drag, high startup pull then it smooths out. It also seems to lessen after it's been warmed up (I've been lucky lately).

Anyone else with this reel notice that? I'm debating whether to dissect the drag or not.

No trouble with mine (that I've noticed), but I'm not sure how to determine what generation it is. I believe mine is before the 'hard alox'.... that's just a finish, correct?

I've never had an issue with mine. I've heard some issues about the clutch....Pop your roller clutch out and take a look...it might have rusted a little.

The older lamsons had some problems with rust forming on the roller clutch. Pop off the spool, unscrew and remove the black plastic retainer and remove the clutch. The improved stainless steel clutch is partly red in color. You may have the pre-improved clutch.

Hard Alox is just another way of saying Type 3 Hard Anodize. The newer Velocity has the red dot on the spool and is sometimes called "Velocity II" or "Velocity Hard Alox II". I think the change-over was done in late 2008.

Since Waterworks-Lamson gives a lifetime warranty I wouldn't try to do anything without contacting them first.

Lamson Hard AlOx V4 owner here. I cannot speak to your specific problem but one of a different nature. I contacted Lamson-W for customer service and it was first rate.

Good luck!

The Lamson service is first rate.

When you check the clutch, be sure to put the clutch back in the same way you took it out. The placement of the clutch determines the direction of the retrieve.