Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Railrider1920

Newbie here, supply shop in NYC and other questions...

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Just wanted to say hello. I just found this board a couple of weeks back. I've been lurkin and reading for a little while now.

Don't worry, I signed up today just to get to the search engine.

Below is a picture of the second lure I made. I don't know what type of wood it is, but it's heavy, maybe 3 or 4 oz. It is about 8" long and covered in epoxy. I haven't tried it yet, but I have a feeling that it is going to lay flat in the water, not upright like I was hoping. The package of wire that it is sitting on is the wire I used. I made it kind of like this guy made this one in this thread on a different forum. Split in half then glued together: http://www.tackleunderground.com/com...-construction/

I haven't been able to find much info on the type of wire you folks are using. Would someone please tell me what it is, size and any other info on it? Is the wire you use about the same size as the wire used on a wire whisk (kitchen tool for mixing)? Can that wire be used?

I travel up to NYC quite often. Is there any place in the general NY, northern NJ area where I can go to to get some basic things needed for making plugs? My local tackel store where I got the wire doesn't carry much. Wire, grommets, etc. looking for most of the stuff found in this pic in this thread (minus the hooks, we have a few of them

here in Flabiggrin.gif): http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=654563

Looking forward to sharing pics of anything I can get made. Thanks for any help offered.

Rob

jointedlure.jpg

We use 1/8" diameter stainless steel wire. Some guys use 316 alloy, some guys 308 and others 304.

You can buy the stainless wire at most welding supply stores. Plug building supplies are available online. Google "plug building supplies"

View PostThanks for the tip on the wire. When I go looking at the welding supply stores, what do I ask for, just 1/8" SS wire? Or does it have a particular name?

Thanks

Do not get 1/8 wire you will have to hard a time bending it, get 1/16 heli arc wire ( it's now called tig welding wire) it is 36 inches long and does not have a coating on it.

Thanks old dog. I'll look for it.

Your from Keansburg? That name brings back memories. Is the amusement park still there? I grew up in Laurence Harbor and we used to go there all the time.

Thanks again

View PostHe's right. I made a mistake. I was thinking of the 1/8" drill for the 1/16" wire. Sorry. redface.gif

I didn't see that you posted untill just now. No problem. Thanks for the help offered.