Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Muskogeee

Whats the point of a 2 piece spool?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Whats the point of the top of the spool coming completely off? Especially if you have to take it apart to clean the drag disks, then you have to remove all the line... its just lame imo.

Anyways only reason I'm irate about it is the top of the spool actually popped off one of my reels because of the pressure of the line. The screw holes stripped and now the top wont stay on.

headscratch.gif I'm not sure what your talking about. I've never seen a 2 piece spool.

Are you talking about the knob that scews down on the top of the reel?

That is called your drag tention knob. It adjust the drag on your reel.

What kind of reel are you talking about?

Sounds to me like you tried to tighten the knob but didn't have it on correct & striped the treads.

It's just a no name reel, but my okuma is the same and I've seen others like this as well. The main spool is aluminum and the top is like brass or something.

The screws just completely popped out as soon as I loosened the drag to take the spool off, and the holes are now stripped

I'm just concerned about the same thing happening to my okuma.

heres a pic, my camera is really bad :-p

asdfasdfj.jpg

I'd try to contact the company & see what they say. But remember you get what you pay for. I'm not a fan of Okuma reels to many horror storys.

I know this is not one but just saying.

If I recall an old post of yours you were looking for a Cheap reel just to hold you over until you could get a desent reel. Looks like you got your cheap reel!

I suggest see if you can pick up a used Penn Slammer for about $100 & save yourself a lot of headaches.

Okay - Here's what happened. You put Mono on the reel. You then retrieved something (fish, weed, heavy weight....) that stretched the mono really tight. The mono wants to return to its size, so when you loosened the drag, removing the extra support holding the top of the spool, the pressure of the expanding mono popped the screws.

To prevent that from happening:

1 - Get a better reel

or

2- Put on a loose backing of dacron line that will compress under the pressure of the mono and relieve some of the pressure.

If you ask real nice, I'll tell you how I know this,redface.gif

Now I understand how they get two color spools. cwm40.gif I always wondered how they anodized the top a different color. Never thought to look for two piece assembly. Great info, thanks.

View PostNow I understand how they get two color spools. cwm40.gif I always wondered how they anodized the top a different color. Never thought to look for two piece assembly. Great info, thanks.

When done strongly, that 2-piece assembly method is a smart and inexpensive way to fasten a spool lip made of a harder material than the rest of the spool.

I have that same spool, mine has bluewater fishing printed on it though. I don't think mine is 2 piece or at least it isn't yet. Got the reel for $10, I have to say for $10 it was a good deal

The new Penn Conquer reels have a removable spool lip. The drag washers come out the bottom of the spool. Seems to be a good setup so far. My 2000 has a super smooth drag and it casts really good.

View PostWhen done strongly, that 2-piece assembly method is a smart and inexpensive way to fasten a spool lip made of a harder material than the rest of the spool.

Also, maybe cheaper to replace just the lip since I see lots of people dropping spools and damaging the lip instead of replacing the whole spool.

View PostMuch cheaper to manufacture.

Not really, Each component needs its own machine time. The lip needs turning on 2 sides & holes. At least (2) operations there if its done on the right machine, if not its 3 ops.

Same thing with the spool. Turning on 2 sides and holes drilled & tapped. seperate handling for seperate parts looks like 4 - 6 operations total to make the spool + finishing where if it was a 1 pc spool its probably only 2- 3 operations + finishing.

View PostAlso, maybe cheaper to replace just the lip since I see lots of people dropping spools and damaging the lip instead of replacing the whole spool.

seems like the most sensible reason for a 2 pc spool, im not seeing any other logical advantage to the design.

IMO If they wanted to do it right they should have "helicoiled" the threads, the screws wouldnt have ripped out of the spool if they did.

View PostAlso, maybe cheaper to replace just the lip since I see lots of people dropping spools and damaging the lip instead of replacing the whole spool.

Maybe. But I don't know of any manufacturers that sell spool lips separately. Shimano, for example, sells complete spools only.