Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishpunter

Input appreciated for my next project!!

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

My one gripe with fishing in my little 10ft aluminum boat is that on the really sunny days, it gets hot in there and I could really use some shade. So I came up with two different designs for a removable shade/top and I'd like to hear what you guys think pros/cons for each.

The frames will be made of the lightweight aluminum square tubing, and I'd like the canopy to be made with a tough and close knit mesh material like you find on a patio chair. This way It provides shade, but won't be affected by a sudden stiff wind.

I have a feeling I'll go with the second design because it will get in the way of casting much less then design 1. (p.s. I always sit on the back bench. Rigged a front and rear anchor pulley system so I can deploy both anchors at the same time from the back)

Dont' judge my crude photoshop shots lol, I was in a rush before work! lol

thanks!

Ant

I like the idea, and like #2 MUCH more than #1. The one thing I have to add, is that I think you would be very surprised at how minimal the difference would be between canvas, and that mesh-material. It will carry a LOT of resistance, and I think that either canvas, or the mesh, will both have the same wind-catching abilities. I like #2 because of un-obstructed casting. Pretty much anything that you get online will obstruct your casting, or be real heavy. I would arch the front down a bit when sitting static, because when you get up on plane(of you do), or start moving if the bow goes up at all, it will catch wind, and those stresses would likely be too much for the aluminum.

Hey Chief.. thanks for the tips! I didn't think about angling the front down, that will definitely need to be done so it doesn't act like a racing parachute slowing me down or simply flying off the back LOL... I will add that to the design.

As for the material for the shade, what's a good compromise that will let air through but still block out the sun?

there is no good true double duty material that I know of. That said, what I might suggest is a latex-canvas, with larger holes cut in it. Like if you have ever seen a big canvas-type sign, and it has half-circle 2" holes cut into it? The holes would have to be sewn to prevent ripping, but I think that would give you the most coverage, and allow the most air out if wind-blown.

Great thanks. I've had a few signs made out of that stuff for our cleaners. They had he metal O rings in the corners. I'll see if anywhere local can get the material and punch in a few of those metal rings

No matter how much you angle it down in the front it will catch air when underway.

Here's my idea, why not just mount a holder for a folding beach umbrella. This way you can chose to use it or not - close it when underway - and remove it when trailering. .... just a thought.

Another idea would be to modify your first idea so that the poles in the four corners are removable with quick release clips and the canvas top is fastened to each rod with shock cord and quick release clips.

your designs look good, but they are not foldable, suggest that you look at an Atwood 2 bow bimini top. they run around $100.00 and can easily be raised or lowered on your boat. we have one on our hobie power skiff and they work very well.

These economical, 2-bow Bimini Tops are perfect for smaller fishing boats, rowboats, paddle-wheel boats, and other small craft. The 2-bow tops are sold complete with white denim-backed vinyl top fabric, sturdy 7/8" dia. aluminum tubing frame, black nylon fittings and hardware, and tie-down straps.

Aluminum, 2-Bow Frame

(Includes While Vinyl Top, Black Nylon Fittings and Mounting Hardware) 66" long, 42" high

Wayne.. The beach umbrella idea's been floating around in my head as well because that would be pretty easy and quick to do. The only gripe with that is I don't have a solid place to mount the umbrella where it would actually provide me shade... the bench seats are just sheet metal filled with styrofoam. I could mount it to the side wall of the boat, but then my right or left leg would still be in the sun.

I'm thinking of going with idea number two, and yes I'm definitely making the bars that attach to the boat removable. I'll put a section of larger diameter tubing permanently fixed to the boat, and the actual top will be slightly thinner diameter tubing with clevis pins or bolts and wingnuts holding it in place.

PnwSkiff, that is a really neat cover and a seriously great price! I just think it would get in the way of my fishing because I'll be fishing from underneath the shade the whole time, whereas it looks like you have a large open section on the front of yours to fish from. I'll keep that in mind though, it will most likely be cheaper then anything I would make

take a look at this shade umbrella designed to mount on a boat seat back,

they sell for about $30.00 including bracket. you may even be able to adapt it to a wooden or metal stand that clamps to the gunnel of your boat. you could also mount a boat seat to your bench seat (one with a pivoting base) and then attach the umbrella to the seat back, google search for boat seat umbrella to find sellers of this,

Stay out of the sun and be prepared for unexpected showers with this handy umbrella.

• 60" wide

• Fits into an adjustable bracket

• Easily mounts on the back of your boat seat

• Quick and easy to removed for storage

• All installation hardware included
Alec