Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FritzAbu

Alutecnos 50 W 2 speed Drag problem

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi I am currently servicing a reel for a client and found that the drag washer, that is normally glued on to the drag disc. Came loose .

Did anybody had the same problem with their reels before ?

Any suggestions as to which glue to use to glue it back in place?

I have no first hand knowledge of this reel, but: during some general web searches to aircraft, and racing car web sites, sourcing various weights and weaves of carbon fiber cloth, (I'm planning on making my own drag washers)they made mention of many adhesives they use to set the product up.

I searched carbon fiber cloth, and got plenty of hits, including a company called Aircraft Spruce. Perhaps that may help.

Or: contact the reel factory, and ask them what they use from the "git-go".

Thanks Ken D will Google bid . It was just strange that it came loose ,as the reel not very old. The other one seem to be fine.Maybe the factory use not enough glue on the one reel.

You'll want to use an adhesive with very good thermal conductivity, and with capacity to retain strength at elevated temperatures.

A 50W is a large reel, and game fish peeling line from one can generate a surprising amount of heat.

It is not unusual for some manufacturers to use a thermoset phenolic resin for bonding drag washers to metallic substrates, but you'll have difficulty achieving this in a home workshop environment.

I would like to UNrecommend an adhesive popularly shown in this context on other internet sites, as it has a drastic reduction in strength at even moderate temperatures, and recommend instead a high-temperature type of adhesive. (regular epoxy for example is just not good enough)

These are available from a number of industrial suppliers, but can also sometimes be found in consumer-friendly retail products.

It is absolutely paramount to ascertain a clean, flat surface for the bond, as well as proper dosage. No adhesive shall be allowed to bleed through the fabric, or a bumpy or nonplanar surface result. A proper clamping or pressing arrangement is also needed. Prepare this in advance.

I'll stop by your PM box in the way out and suggest an adhesive product that may be available in your area.

Doc

Who has spent a gazillion hours doing this a zillion times a jillion ways for a million years

I've been dealing with these reels for about 8 years. Yes, the glue has parted on several occasions, but I think they now have the solution. If, if however, you do manage to get a replacement pad (not complete drag disc, just the pad), then I use Marine Tex. It works well.

Another note. The ratchet (alarm) must be fully engaged or disengaged. I know that many times I don't "go all the way" with the clicker button and it wwears on the spool shoulder - simple solution. Remove the corrugated stainless plate and dremmel the indentations smooth. Replace the plate and you are ready to go.