Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SharkRider

Oil Spill's Impact on Northeastern Surf Fishing

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm sure the gulf oil spill is going to have some impact on the migratory species that travel up from down south. Anybody have any thoughts on what type of impact it might have and when we might feel it? Fall run? Spring 2011 run? headscratch.gif

Personally, I think it will hurt the population of baitfish down in southern waters and decrease the food supply for the migratory species when they head south this fall. Not good!

confused.gif

Time will tell.. I think if & when will be determined on how bad of a tropical storm season the Atlantic has this year.. Its a mess down in the Gulf right now as they just declared a fishery diaster for Louisiana,Mississippi & Alabama which opens up emergency unemployment pay for the comm.and rec.charter fishermen.. I believe today is the day for another attempt to cap the leak..

Lets hope a scene like this one is not in the future for the eastern seaboard.

slide_6519_92816_large.jpg?1274882218143

The Gulf Stream is very very far off the NE. Even if oil comes around Florida in the Gulf Stream I don't think we'll see any oil on our beaches.

The true impact will be migratory species. From what I understand the location of this spill is basically right over the Bluefin tuna breading grounds. The fact that BP is using chemicals to make oil sink has me worried the most. What is the impact of oil sinking to the bottom and what impact will the chemical it's self have on fish eggs?.....

john

View PostThe Gulf Stream is very very far off the NE. Even if oil comes around Florida in the Gulf Stream I don't think we'll see any oil on our beaches.

I'd bet money we will see oil on the beaches, tar balls actually, by the time they get here, but we'll definitely get em.

I guess it depends. Once north of Cape Hatteras, the stream is so far offshore that, were the oil solidly within the current, it might just stay there. However, in all likelihood, the same upwellings that bring little tuna in from the stream close enough for us in the late summer and fall, these little spinning eddies of warm water cast off by the stream, they are going to bring in oil. Who knows where it might hit. A tiny little aquatic hurricane filled with dirty water headed somewhere towards the shore. It will be hard to be prepared for that.

While I'm no scientist or expert, I think these are the factors that will get the oilspill to affect us in it's importance:

1. How long more this thing will spew (could this be shut off?)

2. Hurricanes

It is very naiive to think that this won't affect us. It already have by economic impact.

For the most part I'm C&R, but I do keep a few fish here and there of various species to eat. However, if the toxins from this spill work their way into the food chain (and they will) how are we gonna' know if (and when) this becomes unsafe? We've been working hard to clean up the mid-atlantic waters for decades and it's gotten to be pretty decent if I do say so. Just look at the action this year!

... here we go again I guess.frown.gif

I hate to say it but go to any NJ beach and dig down through the soft groomed sand and see what you find when you hit the hard sand. A lot of people have zero clue what is lurking down there......

John