Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crabbypatty

Ran aground

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Last night I was in the CT river fishing after dark and decided to head home and enjoy my skunk.gif. I was going about 12 mph with an almost full moon, and shooting the sheet with my friend. all of a sudden I felt the prop hit and pulled the throttle outa gear. redface.gif I looked at the fishfinder, and I was in 1 ft of water! I trimmed the mtr up and checked the prop, one mionr ding and some paint loss. I carefully found some water to run in and went back to the ramp and loaded up. I am going to check my hub today in the daylight. It seemed fine, no vibrations or skipping a WOT, so I should be good.

This is my fault, However the power CO upriver is messing with the water levels more and more. I have never seen the ramp I use so far outta the water. I guess they can do whatever they want. kooky.gif

Funny thing about this is yesterday I was reading OTW mag and they had an article about running aground. They also had an article about 50# plus stripers, I wish that woulda happened instead!!!!!!biggrin.gif

stinks, hope everything is ok. At least you hit at 12, and not 30. I hit sand at 30 last year, not a fun experience(no damage whatsoever thankfully, but it was like a muddy marsh sand/silt).

The low water might have more to do with weather. Here in Barnegat bay, we have had a LOT of W/NW winds this year, and the bays are just empty. Where it used to be 2 ft last year, I have not found it over 1ft(both at high tides). If you go RIGHT after a good W blow, it could be dry sand. I am unfamiliar with the area, but if you have had lower rain, or winds running downstream, it may be pushing water out.

The low water does have to do with the weather, and the dam as well. They hold back water by inflating these giant black tubes they installed a few years ago on top of the dam. It is dry around here so they are not releasing any extra water. Back before the had boards they would install on top of the dam, and they wouldn't do it untill june or july. Now they can push a button and inflate the tubes any time they want!

That's why you need to pay attention at all time especially at night. Lucky enough you weren't going all that fast.

I've seen some real horrors. One guy was traveling so fast he ended up burried 30' back in the marsh. Took 2 tow boats to get his Dump beatin.gif towed out!

That's gotta Hurt!!

The CT River is tricky this year with the really low water. I smacked a gravel bar Friday night and came to a dead stop. Thankgod I have a jet drive and was going slow, actually if I was on plane I would've skipped right over it. I heard some nasty clunks the last few times I've been out from some other boaters.

View PostThe low water does have to do with the weather, and the dam as well. They hold back water by inflating these giant black tubes they installed a few years ago on top of the dam. It is dry around here so they are not releasing any extra water. Back before the had boards they would install on top of the dam, and they wouldn't do it untill june or july. Now they can push a button and inflate the tubes any time they want!

The CTR doesn't have a dam in Connecticut, is there one farther north?

View PostThat's why you need to pay attention at all time especially at night. Lucky enough you weren't going all that fast.

I've seen some real horrors. One guy was traveling so fast he ended up burried 30' back in the marsh. Took 2 tow boats to get his Dump beatin.gif towed out!

That's gotta Hurt!!

WOW!! Talk about crapping a log........sorry , just had to say it