Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J

Punched in the groin

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

You would think she would have enough sense to call the cops before calling her roommate kooky.gif

Lucky girl....

Providence police say woman overpowered knife-wielding man

01:00 AM EDT on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

By Amanda Milkovits

Journal Staff Writer PROVIDENCE -- A convicted sex offender talked his way into a college student's new apartment Monday around noon with a story about needing to check for a gas leak.

Once inside, he pulled a knife on the 20-year-old woman -- holding a hand on her shoulder and telling her not to be scared, that he wouldn't hurt her.

But up there on the third floor at 11 Spruce St., the police say, the story suddenly changed for Jeremy Richardson.

The young woman punched Richardson in the groin, said police Maj. Thomas F. Oates III, and then twisted his groin so hard that he dropped the knife. The woman grabbed the knife and held it at Richardson, who pleaded that he had a family and begged her not to hurt him, Oates said.

Richardson asked for the knife back, Oates said, but the young woman wasn't having any of it. She kept him talking for 10 minutes, keeping the knife on him, until she persuaded Richardson to leave the apartment and wait for her to bring him the knife, Oates said.

Once she had him out, the young woman locked the door and called her roommate, who called the police.

Oates wouldn't identify the woman, a student at Johnson & Wales University, out of concern that she was nearly a rape victim.

"She's a very, very lucky young lady," Oates said.

It took only a few hours for detectives Timothy McGann and Shawn Moffett to figure out who the assailant was and get a warrant, Oates said. Richardson, 30, was a registered Level-3 sex offender, meaning he was deemed most likely to re-offend. He'd been convicted of raping a 15-year-old girl at gunpoint in downtown Providence seven years ago.

Richardson, however, was appealing his Level-3 status, so under the state law, he was not subject to public notification. While Richardson had registered with the Providence police when he was released from the Adult Correctional Institutions last July, he wasn't living at the address that he listed with the Police Department, Oates said.

Finding Richardson was "a top priority," Oates said, and the investigators contacted the U.S. Marshals Service to help their search.

But in this case, talk worked better than action.

On Tuesday, Richardson called up his probation officer and said he'd gotten word that the police were looking for him. Gerald Silva, a probation and parole officer who handles sex offenders, invited Richardson to come to his office in Cranston and "talk to us about it," Oates said.

Richardson showed up that afternoon and was arrested in the office, said Tracey Zeckhausen, spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections.

Richardson is charged with felony assault, breaking and entering, and failing to notify police of a change of address. He is expected to appear Wednesday at District Court, Providence.

According to the police, Richardson is a Level-3 sex offender, meaning he was deemed most likely to re-offend. Richardson is appealing his Level-3 status, so under state law, he was not subject to public notification.

Don't think that's gonna go far.

Since when is one not guilty as long as the sentence uis under appeal?

I hope she sues the state... beatin.gif

View PostDon't think that's gonna go far.

Since when is one not guilty as long as the sentence uis under appeal?

I hope she sues the state... beatin.gif

It doesn't say he is not guilty. it says he was not subjected to public notification, which I assume to mean be registered and listed on an offenders list.

not required to register...

He registered when he got out but has since moved and those in the neighborhood where he lives had no way of knowing he was there. That isn't right.

View Postnot required to register...

He registered when he got out but has since moved and those in the neighborhood where he lives had no way of knowing he was there. That isn't right.

sorry but I don't agree with any type of registration for any criminal after they served their sentence. It's un-American to me. better they just leave them in jail for the rest of their lives. Do you really think knowing where they live is making anyone safer? To some degree, I could see it. But in the grand scheme of things, I don't. What's to stop them from moving and not informing the court? To me, it's just another slippery slope on the downhill trek of our dwindling freedoms.

View Postsorry but I don't agree with any type of registration for any criminal after they served their sentence. It's un-American to me. better they just leave them in jail for the rest of their lives. Do you really think knowing where they live is making anyone safer? To some degree, I could see it. But in the grand scheme of things, I don't. What's to stop them from moving and not informing the court? To me, it's just another slippery slope on the downhill trek of our dwindling freedoms.

I read this post several times and thought about it, I have to say I agree. I always thought that once you serve your time, you paid your debt to society? Now one thing to remember is that not all Registered Sex Offenders raped or touched anyone, in some states you can be made to register for being convicted of public urination, or for getting caught nekkid in your car with your own wife. Something to think about.

I think the whole sex-offender ranking system is ********. A guy who rapes a woman, gets 10 -20 years and mandatory tracking after that. End of ****ing story. This appeal ******** is just that, ********! The woman should sue the city for everything she can get, then she should be allowed to visti this POS while HugeDinghy holds him down, let her do a little knife work of her own. Don't think for one moment thais turd wasn't ready to slice her up after he raped her, he became a ***** when he realised he'd ****ed up big time.mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Or, until recently in CT, for being 18 and having consensual sex with your 17 year old girlfriend - all it took was her parents to not like you and report it and surprise, you're a convicted rapist. Or, even worse, when I was in high school its was similarly illegal to engage in oral sex if you, your partner, or both of you were under 18, so, once again, all it would have taken was a spiteful parent and I could have ended up being a registered offender.

I tend to agree that once you've served your time that should be the end of it, but if you're that much of a threat, well, your time shouldn't be over, right? This whole notion of "well, we don't trust you but we're letting you go anyway" business is kinda silly. If you're dangerous then you shouldn't be set free until you're deemed no longer dangerous, if ever. Isn't that the whole point?

That's the problem with these scum bags you can't put them away for life and they willl never be rehabilitated. they will always be scum most petofiles and rapists are repeat offenders. The only thing that I think would help is One strike one ball two strikes bye to the other ball three strikes it's all gone and they surgicly implant a shoe horn in the scums ass before seending back to prison for life.