Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassinJ

Badly Need Info on Servicing Shimano Saragosa

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys, unfortunately my 6000 Shimano Saragosa got some sand in it today, so I was forced to dunk it in order to remove the sand and continue fishing (not sure that was the greatest move, but its said and done frown.gif). Anyway, I took the reel home today, and I've noticed its not feeling as smooth, and it even stops for a second every now and again as your reeling, as if theres a bit of sand on one of the gears or something.

I have never serviced a reel in my life, I've always added some oil or wd-40 into one of the ports on the reel. But I am determined to try servicing the reel on my own because I know its an important thing to learn. I took the side panel of the reel off (the panel on the side of the reel the handle is on). I seen the inside of the reel was loaded with this yellowish sticky substance, I'm assuming thats the grease? I'm not suppose to try and remove this yellowy substance am I?

Any info on how I should go about "fixing" the reel, should I add some oil to the gears? I didn't touch any of the gears because I'm afraid I'll screw it up. All I have is reel oil and wd-40 at the moment, should I run out and buy some reel grease and use that instead? I'm not sure whats causing the reel to stop for a sec while I'm reeling, thinking its a bit of sand (no sand is visible from what I can see). Please give me some info on how I can "fix" this reel. It is my only striper reel (that works) and I don't have the money at the moment to buy a new reel. If this reel craps out on me I'm out of fishing commission for a good bit. I could really use some help.

Thanks alot guys, I really appreciate any help you could give me.

Hmm, he seems to say you should pack the reel with grease. Is it okay if I mix the existing grease in the reel with the grease I buy at the store? And do many tackleshops sell reel grease, or do I have to get it from somewhere special?

Never pack grease into a reel, that has contaminated/dirty grease already in it.

You will need to strip the reel down to the bare bones, THEN apply your grease.

I don't think I'd be able to do that Stripersug, what happens if I pack grease into it despite the contaminated grease? I know if I strip the reel down, I will never be able to get it back together again.

J go get some reel grease. Spray the intire housing with WD it is a solvent and it will help get old grease out. After you get rid of all the old grease pack it with the new grease. This is a very easy reel to work on make sure you know where you are taking things out from. Goodluck

View PostI've always added some oil or wd-40 into one of the ports on the reel. But I am determined to try servicing the reel on my own because I know its an important thing to learn. I took the side panel of the reel off (the panel on the side of the reel the handle is on). I seen the inside of the reel was loaded with this yellowish sticky substance, I'm assuming thats the grease? I'm not suppose to try and remove this yellowy substance am I?

IMO,

never spray wd40 into the oil port, grease wiull become thin and not stick an dprotect tthe gear.

just open and clean it , lube it, put it back. follow the diagram to put bakc, its simple and easy, just do not open the one way bearing under the spool, if you loose one single bearing cylinder, it will be hard to find.

start with took off the handle, then the sp[ool, the nuts that hold the spool shaft open by clockwise rotation.

then the side plate, you will see that saragosa is very simple.

open it and put it back on the square aluminium box that if something fall, it will fall there not on the floor.

once the gear was taken off, clean up with kerosene and brush, lube them with grease or auto axle grease ors shimano gear grease(expensive) then put it back. once you have done it,m it will be easy. i am servicing all my reels (spinning and overhead and baitcaster) myself but shimano stella, on stella there are toio many parts.

good luck.

Don't think I have any kerosene, can I use rubbing alcohol to clean it? Also, should I pack the grease everywhere? On top of each gear before putting the next one over it? Just EVERYWHERE? Or should I only apply the grease after I put all the gears on top of one another and everything is assembled back again? How much grease should I use? Just fill the insides to the max with the stuff? Thanks for all the help guys.

This may or may not work on a modern reel, but on my old penn spinfishers when i was too lazy ( and that was very lazy considering how easy a penn z was to disassemble ) I used to pour near boiling water over the parts this would liquify the old grease. Then I would pour rubbing alcohol over the parts to displace the water and allow to air dry for as long as I had time to allow to dry, then repack with grease.

the new shimanos may or may not have plastic pasrts that the boiled water may melt so use caution or dont do it at all.

Do not spray wd 40 into the reel it will make a mess of the grease.

View PostDon't think I have any kerosene, can I use rubbing alcohol to clean it? Also, should I pack the grease everywhere? On top of each gear before putting the next one over it? Just EVERYWHERE? Or should I only apply the grease after I put all the gears on top of one another and everything is assembled back again? How much grease should I use? Just fill the insides to the max with the stuff? Thanks for all the help guys.

use diesel fuel instead,

apply grease after you clean it before you assembled back.

when all put together, put some more grease in between all gears,

grease must cover all the gears teeth, then slightly on the gear body to prevent rust or salting.

do not boil the plastic part or the gear, clean up with 1 inch or half inch paint brush that wet by diesel fuel, why diesel? because it wont evaporate quick. you can also immerse while brushing the gear, the gear only, body part should brushed to clean and grease then assemble back then fill with grease.

if you open the one way bearing under the spool cover shaft, do not lubricate them, it will fail the anti reverse function. you can see it like a series of tiny cylinder attached to the shaft, like 12 of them i think.

get the diagram next to you at all time, to have you remember where to put it back and get you used to the parts inside the reel.

forgot to mentioned,

also mneed to open one screw on the line roller, it also has bearing that need to clean up and greased.

the rotor side. rotor plate where the bail arm end to end, no need to open, there is nothing there but the lock mechanism.

good luck and hope this helps.

I have a game plan in my head, assuming I can't get a small paint brush.This is my game plan.1. Pour warm water in the open reel to rid the reel of any salt/sand.2. Pour rubbing alcohol in the reel and then pour it out, then use blow dryer on inside of reel, to make sure all the alcohol/water is dryed out.3. Take out each gear and put some grease on/around it, and then as I put each gear back in spot, pack some grease on top of it.4. When all the gears are back in place, pack more grease all over the inside of the reel.5. Screw the reel plate back in, and good to go.Sound good?

If I'm not too late, here is how I do it.

Instructions for disassembly, cleaning, lubing and reassembly of a Shimano Saragossa Reel

Refer to the schematic posted above, part numbers will be shown in parantheses:

1. Remove the handle (12050) and the cap (12000)

2. Remove the spool

3. Remove the four (4) screws holding on the side cover (12049)

4. Remove the side cover. Remove slowly. The bearing (10463) may or may not come off with the side cover and there are several washers (743) under the bearing.

5. Rotate the rotor so that the oscillating slider (8695) is fully to the rear of the reel body

6. Remove the screw (1109) holding the main shaft (7561) and slide the main shaft out

7. Remove the rotor by removing the screw (7577) and the nut (521)

8. Remove side cover flange (12047) by sliding friction ring (6843) off (do not attempt to completely remove the ring. Just push it off to the side. Then pull out the flange

9. Remove the drive gear (12048). The washers (743) will be on the gear. Remove and set aside.

10. Remove both bearings (10463)

11. Remove the oscillating slider (8695) and the oscillating gear (8696) as well as the bushing (6776). Note: the oscillating slider has a teflon? piece in it, the oscillating slide inner (7563) which may come apart. It's supposed to so if it does, you didn't break it!

This is typically all I remove. I usually leave the pinion gear (12045) in the body .

Place all parts in a container and using a solvent of your choice clean all the old grease from the parts including inside the reel body and the side cover. Hot soapy water and an old tooth brush works well.

After cleaning, I spray down all the parts with WD40 to displace any water, wipe off as much of the WD40 as you can and then let sit for a while to dry.

OK time to put it all back together! Note: I like to use the grease sparingly, others like to pack their reels. I find the reel operates better (smoother) with minimal grease. You may find otherwise. YMMV as they say.

1. Using a small brush put a little grease (i use Penn blue grease) on the bushing (6776) and place it on its "pin" in the reel body.

2. Grease up the oscillating gear (8696). Grease the teeth and both surfaces, then place over the bushing with the pin on the gear facing up.

3. Place a little grease on the oscillating slider (8695) and the slide inner (7563) and place over the pin on the oscillating gear.

4. Place a little oil (I use Quantum Hot Sauce) in the bearings (10463) and place one inside the reel body

5. Grease up the drive gear (12048) and return it with the teeth facing down

6. Put a little grease on the washers (743) and replace onto the drive gear

7. Replace the side cover flange (12047) and then secure with the friction ring (6843)

8. Replace the rotor over the pinion gear and secure with its nut (521) and screw (7577)

9. Lightly grease the main shaft (7561) and slide into the reel. There is a flat on one end that must fit inside the oscillating slider. Once the shaft is fully seated, rotate the rotor so that the slider is once again all the way to the rear of the body. Secure the shaft with the screw (1109)

10. Oil and replace the other bearing (10463) into the side cover, then replace the side cover onto the reel body.

11. Replace the four screws securing the side cover in place.

12. Replace the handle and the cap.

13. Replace the spool.

Give it a spin and go fish!

I hope this helps. It's not as difficult as it seems. Pretty easy reel to work on once you do it the first time. Any questions, PM me and I'll see if I can help.

Joe

Sorry for the way my post above "appeared" I wanted it to be shown with spaces, in a step by step process, but I'm using a unfamiliar computer and I can't seem to get the layout right.Anyway, I was also thinking of picking up a can of that pressurized air. And I was going to spray the air all throughout the inside of my reel, I figure this will really rid the reel of any sand particles that may be stuck in there. What do you think, is this a good idea, or is the pressurized air not something I should do?Really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me!