Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CanarsieSpecial

waterproof camera feedback

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Pentax Optio W90 just came out not long ago check the Pentax American web site , the W80 has been a wonderful camera.I have not used that panasonic you are referring to but I have a panny FZ-28 its a awesome camera , made in Japan but the low light pics are not great when I shoot without the flash.

I use the Olympus sw790 I believe. Its about 3 years old and has taken a beating but still does the trick. The pictures arent the greatest quality, but its been swimming a lot with no problems.

I hear the new ones are nasty....I'm defiantely going to look into them soon.

I have the DMC-TS1 and absolutely love it. I got it because I wanted something rugged, water resistant, and small. It's all of that and more. It is, in fact, waterproof to and capable of underwater use.

The quality of photos are very good. It doesn't replace a SLR or mega-zoom camera, but it does what it advertises. The standard setting is 12 megapixels which is way more than needed. I usually set it for 5 megapixels.

Perhaps the best thing about it is that it's compact and rugged which means that I almost always have it with me. I have captured many photos in the past year that would have been missed if I didn't slip in the Panasonic. It's expensive, but I'd get another one without hesitation.

View Postdoes anyone use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2S ?

What topside2 said! The Lumix TS1 has the best picture quality of all the waterproof cams except maybe the Canon Powershot. The Powershot is way too bulky, however.

The HD video capability of the Lumix is outstanding! I put some HD vids up on Youtube of some 20-35lb fish recently so you may want to check them out once I make them public. That won't be until after the spring run though. wink.gif PM me if you want the link to them.

Well worth the 290 bucks. icon14.gif

I have the TS1 as well. It has performed flawlessly every time out and I have dropped it in the sand and even in the wash once. The HD video is a huge bonus. Takes good underwater vids and pics and is refined enough to take pretty good pics above the water too! Here are a couple recent ones

drum013.jpg

underwater008.jpg

I have the Olympus Tough series waterproof camera and it is awesome. Used in underwater, in the snow, has been dropped everywhere and keeps working perfectly. Bought it because I saw on a TV show where they suspended it from a string and placed it in a bucket of water, froze the bucket of water into a solid block of ice and then used a hammer to break the camera out of the block of ice. Then turned it on and it worked perfectly. It is an incredibly durable camera and takes great pictures.

View PostWhat topside2 said! The Lumix TS1 has the best picture quality of all the waterproof cams except maybe the Canon Powershot. The Powershot is way too bulky, however.

The HD video capability of the Lumix is outstanding! I put some HD vids up on Youtube of some 20-35lb fish recently so you may want to check them out once I make them public. That won't be until after the spring run though. wink.gif PM me if you want the link to them.

Well worth the 290 bucks. icon14.gif

Yes, the Canon has the best picture but it is bulky. It is probably the toughest of the waterproof cameras but isn't very pocketable and it doesn't have HD video while the Optio and Lumix does.

The downside I see to the Lumix is that they recommend you replaced the seals yearly at a cost of $140 flat-rate plus parts. That kills the deal for me.

Here's a good breakdown of the waterproof cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

I wouldn't let that be a deal killer since it's not mandatory to replace the seals every year - just suggested in order to guarantee it's waterproofing. I believe other manufacturers also suggest a seal replacement every so often, but I have no idea what the cost would be. (Similar to the old Van Staal warranty of sending the reel in every year in order to keep the warranty in good standing).

The original warranty is only good for one year which would cover seal failure during that time. The extended warranty is $99.00 for two years and $149.00 for three. That would cover the cost of replacing the seals each year as well - according to Panasonic tech support. So if one were to plan on replacing the seals every year, that would be the way to go.

Edit: Quite a coincidence that I got a letter today offering me extended coverage for my camera for 3 additional years at 33.33 a year. It says my warranty is 'soon to expire' this November. headscratch.gif This would cover Parts/Labor with no deductible and Unlimited Service Calls (which I thought were free anyway?). I may take them up on that.

View Post

The downside I see to the Lumix is that they recommend you replaced the seals yearly at a cost of $140 flat-rate plus parts. That kills the deal for me.

I bought the TS1 just before the 2 was released. Wish I'd waited, but love the camera. Photo and video quality are both great. Very compact. Controls are fairly simple and intuitive. My only complaint is that with the lens on the top corner, my finger shows up in a lot of shots. redface.gif

My Girlfriend has an olympus stylus, not sure what model. She's had it for about 4 years, it's been in the ocean, the pool, took it snorkeling. Never had the seals serviced and never had a problem.... I just picked up one of the Olympus tough series, modle 6000, it's great and I can tell you where u can get it for $180 with a case and 1GB card. i carried this camera on my wading belt for a week in Cancun, and not a problem.

Here's what i do for extended warranties, when u purchase you camera, pay for it with a credit card that automaticly doubles the length of your warranty... Just make sure u save the reciept.

View PostMy Girlfriend has an olympus stylus, not sure what model. She's had it for about 4 years, it's been in the ocean, the pool, took it snorkeling. Never had the seals serviced and never had a problem.... I just picked up one of the Olympus tough series, modle 6000, it's great and I can tell you where u can get it for $180 with a case and 1GB card. i carried this camera on my wading belt for a week in Cancun, and not a problem.

Here's what i do for extended warranties, when u purchase you camera, pay for it with a credit card that automaticly doubles the length of your warranty... Just make sure u save the reciept.

Please tell! My 790SW was just fried....