Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
formula1

Islamorada Tarpon

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

We were down fishing out of Everglades C two weeks ago. Lots of good fish around. Put flies in front of a lot of fish (migrators, rollers, laid up fish), but no eats. The fish had been getting a lot of pressure for sure.

Jim, no, we weren't waiting for the hatch. When my Keys week used to run through Memorial day weekend we did but the crazy boat traffic led me to move my week away from Memorial day weekend and any possibility of a worm hatch. I'd love to fish the hatch again one day.

Good report. The Cortland PE seems to be getting good press from the Florida tarpon fishery. Given that you were fishing either clear or clear-tip lines, how long a leader did you need? ... For that matter, I'd like to hear how you build your preferred leaders.

I take it the "Andy" to whom you refer is Andy Mills?

One-piece rods ... good for a guide or for a vehicle or boat where they live.

It'd be a colossal pain to have to travel with one.

Hey Brian, this is the first year I didn't use any clear tip lines, only 100% clear lines. I use leaders up to 15 ft as well. This setup places a premium on your casting and feeding ability because with the tiny flies we use you cannot spot the fly at all unless you get real lucky. To be honest I was not sure if I was up to the challenge but this is Andy Mill's guide and he is pushing me hard to up my game considerably.

And yes, I do mean Mill when I refer to Andy.

View Post2 for 7 is pretty good, I'll take that any time. Any action at Channel 2, did you make it down that far?

No, we didn't fish Channel 2 this time around. Doesn't mean there weren't - there were plenty of fish around. Can't complain about any shortages this year.

View PostGood report. The Cortland PE seems to be getting good press from the Florida tarpon fishery. Given that you were fishing either clear or clear-tip lines, how long a leader did you need? ... For that matter, I'd like to hear how you build your preferred leaders.

I take it the "Andy" to whom you refer is Andy Mills?

One-piece rods ... good for a guide or for a vehicle or boat where they live.

It'd be a colossal pain to have to travel with one.

My leaders are very simple. 60# butt, sometimes tapered to a 30# section, before the class leader of about 18 inches, then bite tippet of 12 inches. Mostly blood knots. Bimini on the butt end of the class. Doubled over improved blood on the other side. Your basic stealth leader but with a bimini in there.

Yeah the one piece rods are a pain but they are sweet as well. But I only use them if a guide I use has them and I like the rod.

Sorry about the late reply, just got home and all my other replies were from my iPhone whenever I had a spare moment that wasn't busy. Real pita to write much more than a few sentences on it...

Not a problem. There's nothing that's said on this Forum that is desperately time-sensitive. Sixty pound butt section - that's mono, I assume? Is there fluorocarbon in there, or is it all mono? And you noted the flies you're casting are "small;" what's a small fly hook in a large tarpon context?

View PostNot a problem. There's nothing that's said on this Forum that is desperately time-sensitive. Sixty pound butt section - that's mono, I assume? Is there fluorocarbon in there, or is it all mono? And you noted the flies you're casting are "small;" what's a small fly hook in a large tarpon context?

Yes, most of my leader is built with mono, usually Ande. I do use fluoro for the bite tippet but that's about it really.

Small is 1/0 and 2/0. Mostly 1/0. And sparsely tied except for back country fishing which are larger in terms of materials but usually no bigger than 2/0 as well.