Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
influx99

Tica Dolphin vs. Shimano Taramar 8' rods?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, first time post on this board. I'm looking at either of these spinning rods and wanted to see if I can get some feedback:

Shimano Teramar 8'

3/4 - 3oz

TMS-X80XH

Extra Fast

~$120 at the local B+T

OR

Tica Dolphin TC2 8'

3/4 - 3oz

~$110 from large online retailer (on sale)

Action (??? is it a fast-action rod?)

...Or any other rod with those specs + price that I can get my hands on within 7 days.

I will mostly use this as a boat rod but will use it in surf as well for plugging. Matching it with a Spheros 8000. Curious what warranty experiences people have had with either of these rods and just overall feedback.

I have used the Tica Dolphin & it is a great Rod for the money. My concern if the Shimano 8000 size reel will work on a 8' rod. If it's the same size as a stella I use a 10' on the 8000 & a 9' on a 5000 size.

But the Rod is a winner & if your plugging you make want the 9'

Thanks for the feedback. I think the Spheros 8000 is the same size as the 6000 but with more line capacity. It's actually the same weight as the 5000 (19.6oz), if that means anything...

Going to 9' would be a bit much for the boat I think.

The line rating on the Shimano is 20 - 40lb.

View PostThanks for the feedback. I think the Spheros 8000 is the same size as the 6000 but with more line capacity. It's actually the same weight as the 5000 (19.6oz), if that means anything...

Going to 9' would be a bit much for the boat I think.

The line rating on the Shimano is 20 - 40lb.

That's the problem. I use all sorts of rods fishing from the boat & my longest is 7'= Loomis 8-17lb when fishing Fluke. I also tend to use all conventional reels Calcutta's Trinidad's Abu's. I very rarely use a spinning rod off the boat. All my heavier rods are Chaos custom rods in the 6-7' length.

Pluging back bay's you can get away with a 8' but fishing the surf your going to want at least a 9. That's why they make so many different size rods. One rod just can't do it all.

If you want rod that might fill both boat/shore (maybe) go with the Taramar

8', but IMO i would go with the M/H action instead of the XH action..

that XH is just going to be too stiff...IMO...and you don't really need it..

I use to think that all the time...Heavy and strong...but once you learn how

to fight a fish..

Small and strong become a delight to fish with...and yes the 8000 is just a

6000 with a bigger spool..

In fact its lighterheadscratch.gif

After thinking about it some more I think I'm going to scale it back some and go with a 7' boat rod and forget the shore use. I have plenty of shore rods 9 - 11', and a few lighter boat rods, just need something that can handle lures to 3ozs. Thanks again.

I just recently bought a 9ft Tica Dolphin and am very impressed with it so far. The 9 footer I have is rated 1/2-3oz. I have cast neither 1/2oz nor 3oz with this rod, but it throws 3/4-1oz bucktails very effectively. It has a faster tip section which makes it great IMHO for said bucktails and leadhead jigs and plastics. I think it will throw plugs well from bombers to say a little over 2oz if you don't mind the faster action in a plugging rod.

I'll go Shimano although, the Teramar xh would be too stiff for plugging for striper/bluefish. For me it would be a MH, really depends on what's the application, but the xh is just too stiff and you might just get discourage using it. If you're putting straight out 15# mono, the M would be better, just my opinion. Have fun shopping.

View PostI have used the Tica Dolphin & it is a great Rod for the money. My concern if the Shimano 8000 size reel will work on a 8' rod. If it's the same size as a stella I use a 10' on the 8000 & a 9' on a 5000 size.

But the Rod is a winner & if your plugging you make want the 9'

I too have the Tica, but in the 9' model he mentioned. Very much a winner. It's a bit faster action (IMO) than many other comparable plugging rods, which I find make it more versatile for bucktails and jigheads with plastics.

I can't speak to the action of the 8 foot model.