Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
From2

Split Rings or Cut Hooks?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I have been die hard split ring, but recently I rigged a smaller plug where the trebles would have fouled had I used split rings. So I cut, put just enough tension on the hook eye to fit in the swivel and it seems pretty sturdy, didnt seem to stress the hook all that much.

What is your preference and why?

Any instances of a cut hook or split ring failing?

View Postfor some reason I never trusted cut hooks...

DBS

And I for one have never trusted splitrings wink.gif

On smaller hooks you will be surprised to see that the hooks tines themselves will bend out before you open a cut hook. As long as your paying attention to how corroded your hooks get. (Seems to be a bigger problem now a days than it used to be) The cut will be the last to fail. You'll bend a hook out, or some of your terminal gear will fail before a properly reset cut hook will bend open.

Depending on the lure or plug you are using. Split rings with add length to the hook & can tangle up to the middle hook ( Marry ) Also can alter the way the plug swims. If the Plug came with split rings stay with them even if you decide to change the hook. The Siwash VMC hooks you can get with open eyes. Just pinch them closed with a pair of pliers. I don't think the VMC treble hooks are open but you can get open eye Mustad hooks.

View PostThanks for all of the input. Any instances of failure, either with a split ring or cut hook?

Thanks again

ive seen cheap split rings fail. ive never seen a cut 4x vmc fail atleast not at the eye of the hook. those triple split rings are a waste of money just get hd split rings and ur fine.

I have dealt with hundreds of cut VMCs. You break a couple.

View PostThe first time I tried a cut VMC I bent it to the side a little bit and it snapped. I don't trust them for a second. Wolverines.