Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CB900SS

Braid on a Garcia Mitchell 302?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I've searched and found some information... but nothing definitive.

I thought I read that the cam was different? But now I found that it might just be the rollers with bails don't role. (wow, my roller doesn't role on my 704z very well. Could this be my problem with braid on that reel??)

Anyway, back on topic. I'm loving fishing this setup right now, its loaded with 15lb ande and I cranked in a few fish over 10lbs on it. I'd like to run some 20lb braid.

As you see I have a manual pickup, and it roles awesome! (unlike my "manual pickup" on my 704z) Good to go, load the braid on?

SL372152.jpg

Do a search here, alot of guys say that the mitchells are the most braid unfriendly reels out there. The line gets caught under the drag knob a lot from what i hear, i think there are other reasons. Stick with the mono, 15# ande

View PostDo a search here, alot of guys say that the mitchells are the most braid unfriendly reels out there. The line gets caught under the drag knob a lot from what i hear, i think there are other reasons. Stick with the mono, 15# ande

I've searched everywhere and done lots of reading, lots of different information.

I can see how the line could get caught under the drag knob, its pretty far away from the spool. I was reading another thread about someone converting the drag to a Penn beachmaster's drag. I wonder if that solves that issue?

I really like this reel, almost more than my 704z. icon24.gif But I just ordered a real manual pickup for the Penn, along with a new roller and bushing. Hopefully this helps with my break off issues I'm having.

Yep you can add HT-100 washers in the stack, there are a ton of washers in that drag stack be careful to put it back the same way. If you add the HT-100s you will have the smoothest drag in the surf reel world IMO, the mitchells already have a smooth drag add those penn washers and youre golden. I will PM olbarny, he did his mitchells he can add some more detailed info on which washers to use.

Try Fireline in 20# test. I would never use true braid on an old Mitchell---not even the skirted spool 390/490 series. Line spooling is just too uneven.

View PostYep you can add HT-100 washers in the stack, there are a ton of washers in that drag stack be careful to put it back the same way. If you add the HT-100s you will have the smoothest drag in the surf reel world IMO, the mitchells already have a smooth drag add those penn washers and youre golden. I will PM olbarny, he did his mitchells he can add some more detailed info on which washers to use.

Thanks man! shaky.gif

Well, speaking of the drag. When I got this reel the washers were all over the place. From the schematics I'm reading I have an extra (81371) drag disk in the mix.

According to this I only need three of the drag disks, two between the keyed disks, and one below the spring? My drag has four of these in the mix.

GM302Spool1.jpg

Also, it seems I'm missing (81443) a teflon drag washer. It seems it goes between the bottom keyed drag disk and the spool?

I put the extra drag disk where the schematic calls for the teflon washer. I have landed a few fish over 10lbs with it like this, the drag works great and is what sold me on this reel.

Does anyone know why someone would have added an extra disk and taken out the teflon? I just can't imagine what happened over the years.

Under the spool is a red washer. I'm guessing this is correct, and an (81368) drag washer?

This drag works good, but I'd like it to be correct. Hopefully someone can understand my post and answer my questions. I can take it apart and lay out the pieces in order so someone can take a look for me?

SL372155.jpg

To the left of the spool is the red (fiber?) washer that is under the spool. The drag washer at the bottom of the page is what I think to be an extra 81371, drag disk.

And only on the parts schematic at mitchell parts **** do I see a listing of an 81443, teflon drag washer. And as I said, it shows it going between the spool and the bottom keyed drag disk.

I left that extra drag disk out, and the drag loosens up fully now. So I think I have it all together correctly now? I'll be looking forward to reading some more information about the penn drag washers being added in. shaky.gif

Look up the fisher man on eBay. Most reliable source of Mitchell parts I'm aware of...I've done a few courtesy of his wares. I put these (2) together back in 2008 for example biggrin.gif. Anyways, try the crosswind cam as well as the HT-100 drag stack. The new cam alleviates wind knots by eliminating the gap of line that is typical under the spool cap. Hopefully you can make out how the line is evenly distributed??? Pay careful attention to the reassembly because if done incorrectly it's knot city.

I wouldn't be nervous with any bass swimming given these reels and 40lb Power Pro.

Dutch

Beautiful reels man!! As I said, I think I prefer this reel over my 704z. If it was only braid friendly I would fish it more.

thefisher_man is who I got the manual pickup from. Hopefully I can score that cam he has listed right now.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to install the HT-100 drag stack? It looks like the same drag a 704z uses?

View PostThis is how I do Penn drags in a mitchell 302/402...Use #60-155 HT-100 washers.

So you eliminate the clicker? I love the sound that drag makes though when a fish is ripping line off! And no copper spring washer at the top?

I think you can just leave the spring out and put a fiber washer between the keyed washers and still have the clicker.

I always remove drag clickers from all my reels. I have to admit the best sound in the world is a Penn 706 drag with a King Mackeral screaming off for the horizon. Well actually the roller makes all the noise.

View PostTry Fireline in 20# test. I would never use true braid on an old Mitchell---not even the skirted spool 390/490 series. Line spooling is just too uneven.

The 306 I had does well with Fireline, as does my Quick 440. A 302 should do just fine. Go with the 14 or even 10 for extreme casting distance. I can provide no insight on your drag stack.

View PostBeautiful reels man!! As I said, I think I prefer this reel over my 704z. If it was only braid friendly I would fish it more.

thefisher_man is who I got the manual pickup from. Hopefully I can score that cam he has listed right now.

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to install the HT-100 drag stack? It looks like the same drag a 704z uses?

View PostThis is how I do Penn drags in a mitchell 302/402...Use #60-155 HT-100 washers.

That pic is worth way more than I could attempt to describe. You will lose your clicker but that hasn't bothered me personally. The HT-100 discs are a direct replacement for the originals. Don't forget that oddball under the spool either. My only complaint (?) if you'd call it that is the drag is now so slick you need to crank down with 40lb braid. Still smoother than heck though!

Good luck friend,

Dutch

View Post Pay careful attention to the reassembly because if done incorrectly it's knot city.

Dutch,

I'm re-reading this thread... I just installed my crosswind cam, and am getting some braid loaded up today.

But in re-reading, I don't follow your statement above. Pay careful attention to the reassembly of what?

Do you run your Mitchells packed with grease? I was going to do that in a bit.

View PostI always remove drag clickers from all my reels.

I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said the exact same thing. Whats the reason?

Also, can someone tell me if I'm suppose to have a white teflon washer below the drag assembly on the spool? Not below the spool (that's the red washer right?), but between the drag assembly and spool?