vidalia onions on the grill

Rate this topic

Guys,

I haven't seen this posted before on here, so I wanted to pass along a super easy way to grill vidalia onions.

Ingredients

-vidalia onions (as many as you think you need...I go with one big one for 2 people)

-butter

-beef bullion cubes or "Better than Bullion" paste

1. Cut top and bottom off of the onion, peel away outer skin.

2. Use a spoon or melon baller to make a small bowl in the top of the onion, just big enough to place bullion with the butter on top.

3. If using cubes, smash them flat with a spoon, knife, or your hand, and put two cubes into each the small "bowl" that you just made on top of each onion. If you are using the paste bullion, measure out enough for the equivalent of two cubes.

4. Put a nice size chunk of butter (about the size of an ice cube, or approx 2 tbsp) on top of the bullion.

5. Wrap onion in aluminum foil, and twist at the top to keep in all of the steam. Make sure that the bottom of the onion is in the middle of the foil so that you don't lose any of the liquid that will accumulate.

6. Throw onions on your outdoor grill for 40 - 60 minutes. The temperature doesn't really matter, but you don't want it over a roaring flame.

Take the onion off of the grill with tongs, open foil, and you should find a completely carmelized onion. Put the onion and all of the juice into a bowl, cut into a few decent size pieces, and enjoy. These go great with steak, as the beef bullion really lends itself to meat. I've also had it with fish and chicken, and enjoyed it as well.

Prep time : 5 minutes

Cook time : 60 minutes

Easy peasy, and delicious.

Yep, that is fantastic......in fact, I might have to get some to put on the grill for with my chicken tonight.

An alternate method instead of scooping out the middle is to cut off the short and just a bit of the root end. Then, carefully use a chef's knife and make cuts from the sprout end thru the onion, but not quite all the way to the root. Make 3 or 4 slices to "divide" the onion in quarters or 6th's. Insert very small pieces of softened butter in between the "leaves", as well as your bouillon powder. Put another tap of butter on top in the middle, and then proceed as above. This gives you an "onion flower", sort of like a deep fried blooming onion served at that chain place, only not breaded and deep fried, but roasted........smile.gif

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

I don't think Vidalia's need much help on the grill. I usually cut off the ends and stick a few toothpicks or a couple skewers in them so the rings stay together. Split them, little s/p, lightly oil, right on the grill. Get them really brown, maybe a little charred, little drizzle of balsamic when they come off.

Usually with some fresh greens or other grilled veg.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I do it all the time, even add alittle Old Bay. And I prefer the beef bullion powder as opposed to the cubes. Seems to work alot better. Also works alot better if you slice the onion in quarters stopping about a 1/4 inch from the bottom which is how deep I try to go with the hole.

I'm glad to see that so many of you are making these onions. I love them. My daughter and I planted sweet onions in the garden this year, so we should have a couple dozen to enjoy later this summer.

I am going to have to try and slice the onions like some suggested, as well as include the garlic. That sounds like a killer idea.

By the way, for those have not used Better Than Boullion, here is a picture of what it looks like. This stuff seems to be more potent than a dry cube, and I've been using it a lot lately. The cube works fine, but this stuff really seems to penetrate the onion cells, and spread out the flavor.

It looks like I'll be doing a few onions over the weekend, along with a beer can chicken or two.

Paul, they are great that way as well icon14.gif. However, the addition of the bouillon gives the hint of French onion soup.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

I haven't made it many years but we used to make potatoes and onions in foil except instead of boullion or base we used onion soup mix and some butter. Those had French onion soupiness.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black