Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leatherface

Nissan Frontier Roof Bar Question!

22 posts in this topic

I have a leased 2008 Nissan Frontier. What are my options for mounting racks on the roof so I can throw my rods up there, without them being permanent. Looking for something I can use on another truck if possible.

I don't even know if this is possible, so bear with my inexperience with this.

Thanks in advance!

The applicable Thule/Yakima set up with ski racks works well for a lot of people, including myself. Pricey new, but easily found used either here or on CL or other second hand sites.

They make something for pretty much any application, the main distinction being whether or not you have a factory rack and whether you have rain gutters. You have neither, it looks like. If you go over to the BST, Youngsurfrat is selling a rack- look at the pics, you'll see how that one mounts, rubber feet to the roof, bottom part anchors on the rain gutter (I think). Go over to Thule dot com and check out the different feet.

Actually, now that I look at it, YSF's may be the Aero feet, which I think would be right for you (no gutter, no roof rack). Make sure you do your own research before you buy though, I don't have any experience with the different feet as I have my Thule bars attached to a factory rack.

It's actually better not to have a factory rack though, as the Thule with the feet on the roof can hold more weight.

Anyway, get that setup, put your rods in the ski racks and go.

I have an 05 Frontier, and I was looking for a roof rack as well. Word on the street (and clubfrontier.org) is that if the truck doesn't have the factory rack, then we're screwed. There are no gutters on the roof, and there are no beefed up structural mounts for the rack to bolt to.

Basically, they said of you mount an aftermarket rack, the roof won't hold.

But, if you do find something, please, let me know. Of all the research I've done, I couldn't find anyone who did it.

View PostI have an 05 Frontier, and I was looking for a roof rack as well. Word on the street (and clubfrontier.org) is that if the truck doesn't have the factory rack, then we're screwed. There are no gutters on the roof, and there are no beefed up structural mounts for the rack to bolt to.

Basically, they said of you mount an aftermarket rack, the roof won't hold.

But, if you do find something, please, let me know. Of all the research I've done, I couldn't find anyone who did it.

Thanks a lot for the input. Like I said, it's a lease and I am not messing around with it. I have one more year and then I am most likely going to buy something. The roof rack will definitely be on my list of requirements for when I buy. I guess for now I'll just have to carry my rod in the bed..

I still don't understand why a Thule 4002XT Aero - "Strongest, best fitting foot for vehicles without a factory rack or rain gutters." - wouldn't work, but it may mar the finish on top and give you trouble with your lease.

View PostI still don't understand why a Thule 4002XT Aero - "Strongest, best fitting foot for vehicles without a factory rack or rain gutters." - wouldn't work, but it may mar the finish on top and give you trouble with your lease.

True.. It might work, but I think if I have a choice, I may just buy a truck that is a little more accomodating. Then I wouldn't be able to use that thule. I thought it was a little easier to throw a rack up top. I have been dealing with it so far, so I guess another season won't hurt.

Thanks for all the input guys! highfive.gif

Well. I bought a new truck (2011 Frontier) and will be doing a full install of a Thule (permanent) track system on the bare roof. I will start a thread for it in a few weeks when I get started.

leather,

good luck with mounting a roof rack to your frontier i have a 2010 KING CAB. i have researched and there is nothing made for mounting to the bare roof without getting a custom rack made and bolted on. i thought about doing it but was afraid of leaking so i bought a cap for my truck i have no complaints please post some pictures of what your go with i would like to see how things work out for you. good luck enjoy your new frontier

brian

View PostI have a leased 2008 Nissan Frontier. What are my options for mounting racks on the roof so I can throw my rods up there, without them being permanent. Looking for something I can use on another truck if possible.

I don't even know if this is possible, so bear with my inexperience with this.

Thanks in advance!

Attachment 364055

You should also check into the racks that mount to the bed. I've seen some pretty cool half racks that people use for poles. I haven't seem them up close but have admired them from the L.I.E. They look to be 3 foot high aluminum.

Whats with the Nissans same problem with my Titan. Dealing with it for a few years and I still hate it. To make it worse they dont even make a front receiver for my racks I have to put it in the rear and then my tailgate dont open. I think im getting a toyota next time.You can Buy anything for them.