Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
addict

Shy Stripers?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Good day folks,

Have a question: How shy are stripers when it comes to feeling the weight of your line/sinker?

Why do I ask? Last night's Score:

Steve: 7 hits, 5 runs, No errors.

Me: 2 hits, no runs, no errors

My other friend Marc: One hit, no runs, no errors.

"runs" = fish landed (Steve had 4 out of 5 that were all around 40")

We were fishing within 20 ft of each other. Steve had 3 rods, Marc and I were fishing one rod. All using bunkers. All casted similar distances. All using same hooks. Steve was using a fishfinder rig with one hook, I was on a high-low rig, Marc on a fishfinder rig too. All using fluro leaders. Mix of spinners and convench.

Here's the ONLY difference that we could talk about. Steve (who mainly used to fish sweetwater LMB), kept talking about how the bass shy away from your offering if they feel any tension on the pickup. He was using a spinner with the bail open, and had his line LIGHTLY held by a rubberband. His idea was that with an open bail and fishfinder rig, the fish will drop the bait less upon pickup. Marc and I weren't impressed until Steve outfished us HANDS DOWN. Marc was using a squidder with the clicker on, I was using a 5500 with very light drag setting, Steve on a baitrunner (but bail open). He also had his spike at a much lower angle (less than 45 degrees).

So what do you folks think? Are stripers THAT shy about line tension? Or am I (and Marc) just bad striper fisherman?

Excellent question smile.gif

First, Steve had you guys hands down by spreading out 3 baits while you each had only 1 out there. I'd even hazard to bet that Steve had his 3 baits downcurrent from where your baits were smile.gif If we stop there and divide Steve's tally by 3 we get -

Steve - 2.3 hits, 1.6 runs

You - 2 hits, 0 runs

Marc - 1 hit, 0 runs

Then it wasn't such a massacre...except for the hooking up. I don't buy into the feeding them line when fishing bunker pieces. A 40" fish is going to pick up a bunker chunk and get the whole thing inside it's mouth just by opening it's mouth near the chunk and creating a vacuum - letting the fish then run with the chunk just increases the liklihood of the fish feeling the hook or the line tension and spitting the chunk. Instead, hold the rod and set up as soon as the fish moves with the bait. I fish a short leader, maybe 18-20" long and a fish finder rig with a stop about 18" up - that means the fish can pick up the bait and move about 2ft (basically just enough to turn it's head away for a 40" fish) - then the swivel hits the fish finder - now if I'm holding the rod, I've already set the hook smile.gif If the rod is spiked, my drag is set - not set to let the fish move off and choke on the bait or spit it out, but set to bury the hook but still allow line to come off the reel without ripping my rod from the spike.

When the fish turns with the bait and moves a couple feet and that swivel hits the fish finder and stops, there's an 8oz sinker - any reaction from the fish in the form of a panicked run and he's embedded the hook for me icon14.gif The trick is setting the drag tight enough so that the hook is buried on that panick reaction - the 8oz sinker helps a lot wink.gif People fishing 2oz or 4oz sinkers are gonna have a lotta fish not get stuck on that panick reaction.

How many of Steve's 5 fish were hooked where you couldn't see the hook? A 40" fish with a bunker chunk allowed to run with no tension is gonna swallow that chunk deeply in just a couple seconds - and then you got a world class spawner gut hooked and bleeding internally frown.gif

I don't like circle hooks so instead I fish an octopus hook but with the rig I outlined above. To date, in the past 2 springs, I have not caught a single striper that had the hook anywhere but in the mouth or lips - not a single one - and that's fishing in a spike and while holding the rod smile.gif

TimS

Well Tim, I guess I'm not the only one NOT fishing today. frown.gif

Thanks for the response. As far as the gut hook: Out of the 5 fish, 1 was hooked fairly deep, we just cut the leader as close as possible to the hook. [btw...all fish were released] But I do hear your point and have heard it from others.

Steve is a pretty sharp guy though, he may not be Michael Jordan, but he moves pretty quick in the dark when the rod starts moving. The only reason why the one fish was hooked deeply was because we weren't paying attention due to something going "bump" behind us at 3 in the morning. cwm31.gifcwm31.gif Still don't know what that was. confused.gif

I will be looking over your post and re-evaluating what happened last night. I may just pay attention more while fishing too. Thanks again Tim and go fishing already. biggrin.gif

They were steve's property but the third rod was being manned by our fourth angler. Would that make it legal? I had no idea about 3 rod regs though. Thanks for the heads-up.

They allow comm's to kill our fisheries and we have a rec rod limit? wow

I have heard this too but I will say you increase the chances of a gut hooked fish by letting the fish run with the bait but I guess it also increases your hook up ratio biggrin.gif

TimS-

is right a 40" fish can inhale this bait with no problem but they can spit it just as easily so sometime that panic reation is often like they do when hooked.... turn toward the pressure and OPEN that bucket mouth and spit......

they can spit it just as easily so sometime that panic reation is often like they do when hooked.... turn toward the pressure and OPEN that bucket mouth and spit......

Yup, they could smile.gif That's why I use sinkers starting at 8oz and needle sharp Gamakatsu Octopus hooks - they can't turn and spit a hook that's already started into their mouths smile.gif Just moving off with a bait in their mouth and hitting the end of the fish finder, the sudden stop of the 8oz sinker gets the hook started most of the time icon14.gif Yea, some fish still get away...but generally amongst other chunkers, I'm hooking/landing far more than my share...it might just be luck though wink.gif

Personally, with the big prespawn critters, I'd sooner drop or miss one than hook it deep in the throat or stomach. My entertainment isn't worth letting a prespawn female swallow my bait by letting it run and run...I'll always take my chances with the short leader and fish finder stop rig smile.gif

TimS