Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1979will

Penn 12/0 did I do somthing wrong ?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I recently bought a Penn 12/0 used off of eBay reel seemed fine when I got it I striped the heavy old mono off and bought new 80lb mono it came in a few weeks latter so I started so spool it up after about 15 or so min or reeling with a fair amount of line tension when the reel was about half full for no aperant reason the right side plate arround the area that holds the drag washers broke with a loud poping sound.The plates were not hot and the drag wasent very tight. I have a new set of plates and washers comming but I wandering if I did something wrong or if there might be some other parts bad thAt would cause this to happen agian or did the plate already have a crack and it just finished breaking i don't under stand by looking at the parts scematic what would put that much pressure on the plate any info would be great. I am new to this

Hi, You HAVE to to wind 30-40 yds dacron, or more, on the reel before you put on the mono under tension!! When you load mono under tension on a reel , unlike braid, it stretches (up to 30%), when it recovers (and it will), it will constrict and exert force in the direction of least resistance. With the dacron under it, the force will be directed down into the dacron and not your reel plates or spool. Don't ask how I know. Best regards, CaseyGhee

The 12/0 have a very heavy chromed/brass spool and should not have made any problem with mono been spool tight ,as it would have like with reels with fiberglass spools.

I think the side plate already had been damaged before and when you where spooling line tight. With the strain on spool (forward) just made the side plate give way .

With new side plate it should be fine.