Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveZ15

Advice on next project

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I think I am confident enough to start this next build. I want a trolling rod to troll umbrella rigs with the monel wire line. I havent a clue on what blank guides reel seat butt gimbal. I'm leaning twords spiral wrapping with roller guides. Any body with experience in this area feel free to pitch in some ideas. How many times do I wrap the guides ,under wrap should be thread or abalone what are the pros and cons to both., guide choices ,legnths of rear and for grips . I want to match the rod with a shimano tld 50 lever drag which I have or a penn senator. Leaning to the shimano since i already have it.Any one who hase some spare time and reads this please toss me some Ideas,any one who does this fishing and knows the rips and breezypoint area ny this is where I plan to target this trolling. Thanks to anyone who pitches in..

I have no clue on the blank or anything else or I would have replied. I got the guides, I thinkyou used them on the 909 you built. BHNNGis what you used, I also have BHBNG which are a bit heavier and probably what I would use on that rod.

Ok ill do some diggin around to see what will work. I'm thinking at least a roller tip to prevent line kink. I'm thinkin some kind of shorter tuna blank. Thanks.

Seeker makes a nice wire line blank in 8 and 9' lengths....dont know the #. But thats what I'd use (its what I have) and they are excellent spoon rods as well as for umbrellas.

That 50 is way overkill. Penn 113H is the reel for wire.

I'm pretty sure that blank is the 1153. I don't have that here but getting it won't be a problem. I know a lot of guys were looking for that at the SOmerset show for a bunker spoon rod.

Was that the blank I bought at the gathering it was 8 and I cut it down the one I did the spiral spider on. I not sure that blank seemed ligh in the tip for umbrellas I for got which one it is ne way its great on trolling those bannana tubes used it last week a few times loved it also livelined bunker its my favorite so far. If the blank you are talking about is different I want to look into it, I see why these seeker are so popular the two I built are great never use ne thing else for fluke again except an ols fenwick. I need something not so bouncy I want to drag umbrellas . I know the 50 is a bit much you can drag in a car with that thing just don't wanna up cash for another reel I gotta still get a 975ld for my fluke rod this damn fishin can get expensive add that to my new found rod building addiction..

I'm not familiar with the 1153, I think that they cut a LOT out of the tip though, honestly not sure. How long does the rod need to be? I have a couple of 8' blans here that can probably be used if you know exactly what you are looking for and don't mind trimming to get what you want.

Light in the tip yeah, but why not have the ability to kill two birds with one stone?? They drag umbrellas fine.

Sell the expensive 50 and buy the two reels you want! You'll be fighting more reel than fish with that behemoth

No, but I can get it. The 330 is rated 15-40#, the blank is $62. There are no other specs on the blank in the paperwork that I have. I can make a call for you and get you more info if you like.

if thats the blank they have for wireline get me it. the rod on their site had that model number and said it was fore wire line trolling,just ask em if its for wire line ubbrellas if it is scoop it up.

BA 330-7' WL 7' WIRE LINE 330 thats the exact way they have this rod listed,if thats the blank ill take it