Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Novice Basser

Salt Build up on 704z

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I wanted to know if you guys had any tricks regarding removing salt build up on reels. I am specifically having a problem with the gap right between the main housing and the rotor cup on my 704z. I know the rotor cup can be taken off to thoroughly clean all the parts but I just did a full re greasing and cleaning less than a month ago and really don't want to have to go through taking out all the grease that I packed and disassembling the reel again. I know it will have to be done again at some point though. I wanted to know if you guys had any "quick" solutions to remove the salt build up in that area without taking the rotor off. I know I could probably pick at it with a tooth pick or dental pick but I don't want to take a chance of ripping up the finish at the risk of oxidation occurring. Are there any cleaners I can use on the reel in combination with a pointed instrument and towel to get rid of the build up?

Thanks Novice

View PostI wanted to know if you guys had any tricks regarding removing salt build up on reels. I am specifically having a problem with the gap right between the main housing and the rotor cup on my 704z. I know the rotor cup can be taken off to thoroughly clean all the parts but I just did a full re greasing and cleaning less than a month ago and really don't want to have to go through taking out all the grease that I packed and disassembling the reel again. I know it will have to be done again at some point though. I wanted to know if you guys had any "quick" solutions to remove the salt build up in that area without taking the rotor off. I know I could probably pick at it with a tooth pick or dental pick but I don't want to take a chance of ripping up the finish at the risk of oxidation occurring. Are there any cleaners I can use on the reel in combination with a pointed instrument and towel to get rid of the build up?

Thanks Novice

When you rinse your reel, instead of just spraying it down and wiping you should use water and dish soap (in a spray bottle) with a toothbrush and scrub all the places you feel might collect salt. I don't use dish soap but it'll do, I do use Saltaway though. First rinse the reel, spray the solution, scrub then rinse again and wipe. Easy and my reels don't have that build up like they used to.

After you wash it/clean it nice with a rag. Then spray some w-40 over it and use a cotton swab wet it with w-40. and clean around it. I think that will work.

mtkstriper

View PostAfter you wash it/clean it nice with a rag. Then spray some w-40 over it and use a cotton swab wet it with w-40. and clean around it. I think that will work.

mtkstriper

Was thinking WD40 definitely will try that next time around

I fish my Z's hard and haven't had any salt build up like what your talking about. What I do after fishing is dunk the reel in the pool and shake it around hard. If the pools closed I just run the hose over it. Hang in garage and drip dry. thats it.

I do the WD 40 thing too but not until it has been thoroughly dried and I only do it from time to time - not every outing. Please don't dunk your reel in water though - that'll bring a whole new set of problems.

View PostAfter you wash it/clean it nice with a rag. Then spray some w-40 over it and use a cotton swab wet it with w-40. and clean around it. I think that will work.

mtkstriper

Will WD-40 affect the line if it gets on it?

View PostWill WD-40 affect the line if it gets on it?

I think if you don't over spray, it won't. You don't want to soak the line with WD-40. All you need is a little to keep the surface clean/protected. No need to have the spool on when you do this. And when you clean the spool, you only need a little WD-40 on a rag.

mtkstriper

View PostI think if you don't over spray, it won't. You don't want to soak the line with WD-40. All you need is a little to keep the surface clean/protected. No need to have the spool on when you do this. And when you clean the spool, you only need a little WD-40 on a rag.

mtkstriper

Thanks! biggrin.gif

The word on the street is that WD40 has a lot of fish oil in its composition. It is not a lubricant, and it will get sticky over time. Some people spray it on their lures as an attractant. I know a guy that sprays his reels with it on a daily basis, fishes hard 6 days a week and has never had a problem.

View PostThe word on the street is that WD40 has a lot of fish oil in its composition. It is not a lubricant, and it will get sticky over time. Some people spray it on their lures as an attractant. I know a guy that sprays his reels with it on a daily basis, fishes hard 6 days a week and has never had a problem.

That's what I heard too - what's the truth to this?