Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaldsk

Fish kill in pompton lakes

15 posts in this topic

the news was showing there is a big fish kill in pompton lake. they are saying it is related to the dupont plant up there. sucks that can be a good fishery and just took the new state record pike last year I believe.

I find it funny though the reporter said "...many widemouth bass are washing ashore" not only did he say widemouth bass but they were only showing pics of dead carp

A lot of the homeowners around that lake/area have pollutants in their groundwater and basements from the dumping that dupont did years ago. Dupont had to install ventilation systems in a bunch of homes to remove vapors from toxic solvents that were seeping in. Some people were getting sick.

I dont know if that stuff would leak into the lake fast enough to cause a sudden fish kill though. Maybe someting else caused it. I fish there a lot and I've never caught a widemouth basskooky.gif . I'll take a ride by tomorrow and have a look.

View PostWhat station was the report on? The USGC site shows that the temperature in Pompton Lake rose about 8 degs in 4 days.

Attachment 363970

umm i forget which station, it was on channel 12 I believe here in parsippany, I forget who that is

So sad I grew up fishing there when I was a kid the lake and the river....great fishery many years ago....giant smallmouth just below the rocks there.....now its a dumping ground for crap......wonder how pines lake is doing I fished there one time many years ago and OMG wow the fish that came out of there were incredible...biggrin.gif

View PostSo sad I grew up fishing there when I was a kid the lake and the river....great fishery many years ago....giant smallmouth just below the rocks there.....now its a dumping ground for crap......wonder how pines lake is doing I fished there one time many years ago and OMG wow the fish that came out of there were incredible...biggrin.gif

Sad to say it was a dumping ground for about 100 years.

According the The Record, it's a bacteria targeting certain species in Pompton Lakes. Check out the article:

Dead fish in Pompton Lake not tied to Dupont work, DEP says

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

BY JAMES M. O'NEILL

The Record

STAFF WRITER

Local residents and DuPont workers first noticed dead carp floating along the shoreline late last week, and the numbers had increased by Monday, said Edward Merrill, the borough's environmental officer.

"It appears this is a naturally occurring disease in the fish, and not an environmental issue because other fish in the lake were fine," said Lawrence Ragonese, a spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection.

"We've had the same thing occur in a host of other ponds in the area, and it seems to be a naturally occurring bacteria which runs for several days to a week and then runs its course. It seems to affect the weaker fish."

The DEP was not able to pinpoint yet the exact cause of the kill, since officials were not able to collect a fish carcass that was fresh enough for analysis, Ragonese said.

Merrill said that DuPont, which owns a former explosives plant in the borough, has had several boats out on the lake in recent days collecting sediment borings as part of the company's research on contamination in the lake bottom. The company is scheduled to file a detailed report this summer with the DEP on how it plans to remove the sediment, laced with mercury that washed from its facility into the lake.

The boring work does not appear related to the fish kill, Ragonese said.

He said dissolved oxygen levels and water temperature in the lake were within normal range, so it was not likely the fish kill was caused by an inversion, which sometimes occurs in spring when and colder water sinks and warm water with less oxygen rises to the surface where fish tend to stay.

Merrill said he also checked water bodies along the Ramapo River, above Pompton Lake, to see if other areas were also affected. He said he found dead carp in lesser numbers floating on Potash Lake in Oakland, which is deeper and cooler than Pompton Lake.

The Pompton Lake kill "was not a blanket kill where all you see is a mat of dead fish," Merrill said. "The unusual thing was they were carp of a particular size - there were no juvenile fish. Whatever is affecting them, it's hitting carp that are of spawning age, which may be more stressed because of spawning and therefore more vulnerable to the bacteria."

In April, dead sunfish were found floating on Wild Duck Pond at Saddle River County Park in Ridgewood, as well as ponds in Caldwell and Norwood. The DEP determined the "sunnies" had died from a naturally occurring bacteria called aeromonas hydrophilia.

In July 2009, about 1,500 carp died in the Hackensack River in Rockland County, N.Y., and scientists theorized a virus or bacteria caused their deaths.

E-mail: oneillj@northjersey.com

View PostWhat station was the report on? The USGC site shows that the temperature in Pompton Lake rose about 8 degs in 4 days.

Attachment 363970

If anything, it was the 20 degree jump around May 1st that would have caused a problem, from the looks of that chart.