Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iraevski

Tying Plugs to Braid. pls help

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

hey guys

i am kinda new to plugging, just fished bait for the most part last season.

I am using a Penn 750 ssm with a 10' stick spooled with FireLine Original Braid, 30IB.

the question is, should i use a mono or flourocrabon leader or just tie the plug directly to the braid? also do you use some kind of snap swivel or just tie directly to the plug? i am planning to use Danny surface swimmers 3.5 oz and a Bomber long A for the most part

any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

Being new I would tie a barrel swivel to your braid & attatch a Mono leader to that. Long enough that if you catch a fish you have something to grab on to. Braid will cut your hands up pretty good. On the end of your Mono tie on a clip to attatch your plug to.

View PostBeing new I would tie a barrel swivel to your braid & attatch a Mono leader to that. Long enough that if you catch a fish you have something to grab on to. Braid will cut your hands up pretty good. On the end of your Mono tie on a clip to attatch your plug to.

yeah i heard that braid can really cut you. usually i dont grab the line though when i land a fish. i just use the net or have a friend grab the fish for me.

i was just wondering if using mono would cut down on the chance that the fish will see the line. braid is probably more visible in the water

View PostBeing new I would tie a barrel swivel to your braid & attatch a Mono leader to that. Long enough that if you catch a fish you have something to grab on to. Braid will cut your hands up pretty good. On the end of your Mono tie on a clip to attatch your plug to.

That's the way you should do it.

Visibility is not the main factor, especially here in our waters. But the benefit is the abbrasion resistance, fish handling, and the ability to stretch a little bit when hooking a fish or fighting it, when using a mono leader. Best knot for me is the alberto to join braid to mono but for now just use a barrel swivel to join both lines and remember to be carefull as to not reel in the swivel through the guides. Good Luck

^^^ Thats The Way

Think about this too. Mono provides a little stretch, and if you hook a Bluefish, 50lb mono will hold up at least a bit if you play it right. YED's will slice through braid like a hot knife through butter.

thanks for all the replies guys. i am gonna use a mono leader and a swivel on the end. much easier i guess, so long as it doesnt interfere with the action of the plug

Instead of a swivel you could also use a simple knot such as the slim beauty and perefction loop to attach the lure this will give your lure a better action both knots are easy to tie and learn.

Good avice there, go with it.

Just to be clear I think the the reason he said "being new tie a barrel swivel" is because as a newb it's easier to tie to a swivel then direct to the line. And that's not to say one is better than the other, some guys just prefer it, as do I.

Remember you must use a braid friendly knot, Palomar is good I use a modified uni knot, just double through the eye and wrap 8-10x.

View Postbraid > palomar knot > Spro swivel > 3-4 feet 50# mono > palomar knot > large breakway clip > lure

that's it.

Fantastic setup for those who don't like complicated knots! I would definitely use the mono leader for all the reasons mentioned above and visibility - I don't know if those critters can see braided line, but steel leaders will reduce your productivity, so it's better to catch than be bored.

An easy way to make leader changes a bit faster (for me at least) is this:

use palomar knots at both the barrel swivel and snap end of the leader. Use a palomar to attach the braid to the other side of the barrel swivel, simply passing the entire leader through the loop of the palomar before wetting and tightening down the knot.

If it's good enough for a celebrity engineer like SteveinMass, it's darn good enough for me.biggrin.gif

Anyone else have blues cut your line as the chomp at the swivel? Once I started using the Alberto knot no more lost plugs and no swivels through the guides. Learn the knot its simple.