Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
delaware surfman

Drill bit size.

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I agree with Capper. The OD on the nose grommets I have just happens to be 5/32 as well. I have a long 1/8" bit that I chuck up just long enough to reach in the middle to minimize any flex, and go real slow.

View PostI agree with Capper. The OD on the nose grommets I have just happens to be 5/32 as well. I have a long 1/8" bit that I chuck up just long enough to reach in the middle to minimize any flex, and go real slow.

View Post3/16 32 is to big a number for a cavemanwink.gif

I use a 3/16" if the 1/8" doesn't work. Sometimes the hole will be too big to grab my nose grommets, like if I have to ream around a little. I epoxy the nose grommets in with epoxy but seems like the epoxy is brittle, and can break, loosing the nose grommet. Haven't done enough plugs or fished plugs enough to know if this is a problem that will recur with any frequency.

View PostI use a 3/16" if the 1/8" doesn't work. Sometimes the hole will be too big to grab my nose grommets, like if I have to ream around a little. I epoxy the nose grommets in with epoxy but seems like the epoxy is brittle, and can break, loosing the nose grommet. Haven't done enough plugs or fished plugs enough to know if this is a problem that will recur with any frequency.

Since I don't spin but hang my plugs the ends get a little built up during painting and epoxy. This makes a 3/16 hole smaller than say on a spun plug. And they are tighter than you would expect. If I have play then I secure them with adhesive.

View PostSince I don't spin but hang my plugs the ends get a little built up during painting and epoxy. This makes a 3/16 hole smaller than say on a spun plug. And they are tighter than you would expect. If I have play then I secure them with adhesive.

Good point. I hang too and I know what you talking about. Sometimes I have to ream them out with a bit to get the grommet in. I have the same thing with the belly grommets and weight holes.

I'm thinking that where I've had problems with nose grommets not fitting is generally where I've made the hole bigger than 3/16 by reaming to try to connect my though holes.

View PostGood point. I hang too and I know what you talking about. Sometimes I have to ream them out with a bit to get the grommet in. I have the same thing with the belly grommets and weight holes.

I'm thinking that where I've had problems with nose grommets not fitting is generally where I've made the hole bigger than 3/16 by reaming to try to connect my though holes.

Epoxy cures all.

View PostI use 5/32 in from both ends. Then I use a 1/8 to connect them.

5/32s seems to be the perfect size for nose grommets and the 9mm eye stubs that come on the back of the plastic doll eyes. Sometimes when I forget to drill the 5/32 hole for the nose grommets I'll just use a punch to push the grommet in the 1/8 hole.