Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish4Fun

Tile Backsplash

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

We recently got new countertops in our kitchen, and I was brave enough to tell my wife that I could do the tile job on the backsplash. We looked at several designs, all of the kitchen remodel shows on the tube, and didn't really get excited by much. Travertine, glass, ceramic with borders, diagonal patterns, etc, etc. nothing was really exciting her. The local tile distributor showroom had this sample board, and she exclaims "that's it!" cwm31.gif

Pinwheel pattern with field tile that is 4x4 ceramic and the accent is 5/8 x 5/8. She didn't want the soldier course at the bottom, or the pencil border. The countertop is giallo Napolian (sp?) and has some black in it; we looked at black for the accent sqares and decided that was the way we wanted to go.

We have a corner sink with windows above on the two walls, so that had to be considered in the layout. There are also two breaks between the cabinet uppers and the window casement molding, so we talked about how to address that with a bullnose border. We decided to run the pattern up to the bottom of the cabinets, and install a border 1" above the pattern. To keep things consitant, this is how I started the run as well

Very slow going at first! I laid out the start of the run in a framing square to see if I could make some sense out of this thing. It seemed that everything needed to be cut, nothing lined up, I couldnt figure out how to run a reference line, one thing after another. After finding the pattern repeat, it all made sense. The two diagonals grew 2cm every other course. screw inches.

I wound up putting the mastic on each tile. I couln't really trowel a piece of wall and feel like i would be able to catch up to the adhesive, and i didn't feel like rushing.

The only reference that I could figure out to use was to strike a plumb line every so often, and measure from that to make sure that the diagonal tiles were running true. Tools that I found that i couln't live without were a level, small square to be able to mark all of the 45 degree cuts, a small rule with centimeters that started on the end of the rule, a wet saw, and muffs.

By the end of the weekend I had made it to the corner. In this pic, you can see what I am talking about - how the field needs a border on top of it to bridge between the casement molding and the cabinets. I stopped short of the window, one because I really was not in a mood to deal with it and 2, I think that I will pull the trim off and rabbit out the back so the tile can run under. I just don't think that it will look good running up to the molding.

This is as far as I made it. I think by the time I turn the corner, I have it figured out enough that It will go much easier.

A pic of what the whole shebang should look like

So far, my wife is really happy with what's going on, and that's what counts!

great thread Fish4fun, yeah that layout is definitely more time consuming than slapping a couple of square mosaic sheets up, but is worth the extra effort for the end result.

I couldnt help but laugh at your tiling cutting setup, it looks exactly like mine, a little saw on a leftover piece of plybead resting on some sawhorses, too funny.biggrin.gif

Looks good. One word of advise; Do not grout directly to the granite. Use a silicone that matches the color of the grout you are using everywhere else. Will last a lot longer and look better.

View PostI couldnt help but laugh at your tiling cutting setup, it looks exactly like mine, a little saw on a leftover piece of plybead resting on some sawhorses, too funny.biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif That plywood has been through some projects with me. It's a leftover piece of ceiling from the screen porch that I was working on!

View PostLooks good. One word of advise; Do not grout directly to the granite. Use a silicone that matches the color of the grout you are using everywhere else. Will last a lot longer and look better.

Makes sense- thanks for the tip!