Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WahooJames

DEP: Post Notice - Herring Ban

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

They really should post flyers about the Herring Ban in the areas where these fish run. It is obvious that the people netting, snagging, and generally harassing these fish in our river do not realize they are breaking the law.

View PostThey really should post flyers about the Herring Ban in the areas where these fish run. It is obvious that the people netting, snagging, and generally harassing these fish in our river do not realize they are breaking the law.

They should. But there are many people that know its illegal and do it anyway. I seen an 70yr old guy trying to net them and I politely said something to him about it thinking he didn't know. He laughed and said he did know..I've seen a lot of people doing it and even called it in and the people did get busted..

I need that number again, anyone have it?

it's funny to me how when it comes to fishing, you guys (not everybody here) love following the rules to the T- daily creel limits, legal size limits, and prohibited fish species. the laws are and should be enforced. but what about having a few drinks while fishing? i know plenty of fisherman who drink, drive/boat and have no problem breaking that law. there are always going to be bans and laws in place that have no follow up studies to provide consistent info. I spent a day fishing for shad in between striper fishing and within 3 hours, i personally caught over 50 alewives, along with other guys fishing for shad who were catching nothing but alewives on willow leafs, all released. i don't understand how if each of us fishing for shad, livelined a alewife, caught 2 stripers and left, would hurt anything. the fact that this year produced a large herring run is a sign that they're improving. how about they put a few years ban on bunker. let's see who stops snagging then smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif