Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TomR

Newell 200 Series

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Not really, since the 235 gives you a little more line capacity. These are the approximately line capacities for each reel based on 20# mono:

220 - 220 yds

229 = 290 yds

235 - 350 yds

With the popularity of braided line, the 220 and 229 have more than enough line capacity.

My two favorites are the 220 and the 229 with a 3.6 ratio with Penn HT100 drag washers.

Al

If you are surfcasting, a wide low profile reel that you can get your thumb around is preferred. For partyboat fishing and especially jigging, you want as narrow a reel as possible, so you don't make as much of an effort to lay the line.

Disagree mildly with other posters. I found the 235 too wide. The 229 is, to my taste, the most ergonomically perfect reel I have ever found.

It's almost the only reel I know with enough line for bait fishing, for anything other than triple digit sharks, while still remaining small enough for plugging.

My 229 is my go to reel of choice for plugging and jigging. I have a 235 and it is used mostly for live lining and chunks. I feel the 235 is a little wide to plug with everyday. My 220 is at the oposite end of the spectrum to small so I started using a braid on it for more line capacity. The 229 on my 132 2 is an awesome set-up that can be fished for hours on end with minimal fatigue. icon14.gif

The 235's are not a bad choice for jig or skin fishing in the canal. Especially when using Dacron lines.

The advantage is it will hold almost a casts worth more line than the 229. And at times that can be important. Should you get hung up on the bottom and have to break off a couple of times. Before having to

Splice more line onto your reel (being able to splice Dacron line is a big advantage) Although I think there are now much better choices in reels for jig fishing. My older P-Series reels with the aluminum spools are still great reels. I sure wish the folks at Newell would catch up to the rest of the competition. Most of the reels in their size class are leaving them behind in both technology and quality

My older P-Series reels with the aluminum spools are still great reels. I sure wish the folks at Newell would catch up to the rest of the competition. Most of the reels in their size class are leaving them behind in both technology and quality

If the company is listening, please bring back the aluminum spools. Please... for surfcasting the graphite ones are too porous.

How does being porous impact the casting? Can't you coat the spool with something? You can still buy a beatup blackie on Ebay for $100 if you need an aluminum spool. Might have scratches, but black Krylon takes care of that. Considering that the factory gets $50 for a new graphite spool, if they ever made a limited run of aluminum spools, it would be close to $100. And if you are willing to pay that much, I can guarantee you that the Ebay sellers would be able to come up with a spool or 2 for you.

Triet The graphite spools are unable to dissipate the heat from friction caused by your thumb on the flange of the spool. I think the graphite spools cast ok but for me I always seem to have to thumb a cast using a Newell. And I always get these burn streaks on my thumb. I had to laugh on day fishing at the east end of the Canal. There were 2 guys trying to fish pips. Both of them were using conventional reels. For whatever reason both of them every now and then would completely dunk their reels into the water. One can only assume it was due to thumbing the line and trying not to burn it. I wish I had a buck for every time I've said. If Penn made a 5 or 6 to 1 Squidder they would corner the market on reels in that class.

Agree that graphite spools are, when driven to high RPMs by a surf rod, nasty thumb-burners.

Weewee, I hope you try that 220 now that Steve did some stuff to it, the result might not satisfy him but I'd bet the improvement is significant.