Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Icepants

Light Rain Coats

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hi All Rats, I always like to keep a light weight breathable rain coat in my backpack when surf fishing. I find this type of jacket works good to cut the wind and keeps you dry on damp nights. The problem is I can always find something I don't like about every jacket I look at! I currently using a cheaper Simms jacket it folds nice and works as it should, however the zipper is getting harder to use. It seems to be sticking and doesn't like sand. I looked at the Bayman's jacket by AS, the jacket looks nice but I know the neoprene sleeve would drive me crazy esp when taking it off. I was wondering what some of you use.

Tjhanks - Icepants

View PostHi All Rats, I always like to keep a light weight breathable rain coat in my backpack when surf fishing. I find this type of jacket works good to cut the wind and keeps you dry on damp nights. The problem is I can always find something I don't like about every jacket I look at! I currently using a cheaper Simms jacket it folds nice and works as it should, however the zipper is getting harder to use. It seems to be sticking and doesn't like sand. I looked at the Bayman's jacket by AS, the jacket looks nice but I know the neoprene sleeve would drive me crazy esp when taking it off. I was wondering what some of you use.

Tjhanks - Icepants

Don't get the Bayman. We asked a AS person why my jacket leaked, and the guy actually told us that the thing isn't waterproof, and we paid $150 for a windbreaker with rubber cuffs. I could have strangled him mad.gifmad.gif

Simms makes a light weight waterproof windbreaker that is great.Has velcro cuffs a elastic adjustable waist,and a great hood.The Sierra trading post had them a while back,I have loved mine for a few years,as a windbreaker,foul weather jacket,jetty jacket,and almost as a dry top

look for the in-vest jacket

View Postllbean Stowaway wading jacket. Very light, goretex, lifetime warranty $150.

I love mine

Same here. Very lightweight and made from breathable Gore-Tex® PacLite fabric.

The warranty is top notch - 100% satisfaction guaranteed for the life of the product or LLBean will replace or make good.

Have been using a lightweight breathable jacket from AFTCO for about 2 years now. So far so good, light rain and spray no problem at all. A full on downpour may be a different story, but haven't used it that situation yet.

View PostDon't get the Bayman. We asked a AS person why my jacket leaked, and the guy actually told us that the thing isn't waterproof, and we paid $150 for a windbreaker with rubber cuffs. I could have strangled him mad.gifmad.gif

I don't know....mine seems to work alright.....as long as you use it for what it's intended for and not as a top you'd wear into a crashing surf. Have mine 2 years and it has always kept me dry. If the cuffs are too tight, try pulling them over a wine bottle and let them stay that way overnight...it stretched them a bit. The Bayman is a light rain top at best..not to be used in a deluge or a serious surf top. I also use a EMS Gore-Tex top that cost me about $125 which is super. Packs up so nice I carry it in the back of my fly vest when up in the mountains.

View PostGrundens makes really nice lightweight breathable jacket w taped seams and all called the weather watch and it retails for cheap$ around $50

View PostI second that

I also use the Grundens lite rain jacket. Used it in a down pour at the Hook over my waders and it worked well. Black in color and I also have the pants, just have not had the chance to wear them (pants). The price was right so I picked up the set.wink.gif

Lami

That place in Sea Brite has them in stock. I have replaced my 200+$ jacket with one under 50$. So far great investment. If it does fail I will not feel as bad for that money.

its a raincoat / wading jacket - I have it - and love it so far:

Columbia "Raindestroyer" -

you can find it for around $100

(yeah yeah yeah - clammin works in spring wink.gif

TstripesApril10-1.jpg

Tstripesapril17-1.jpg