Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pettypace

Line Capacity & Mental Masturbation

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Planning to spool up an Alvey with fresh line, I referred to my trusty Alvey line capacity chart which I've attached. The chart suggests this method for approximating reel capacity for line not shown:

Multiply the known capacity by the known gauge and divide by the desired gauge.

But that doesn't seem right. It seems to me that the capacity of a reel is determined by the volume of line it can hold. The line is just a long cylinder with a volume equal to its length multiplied by it cross-sectional area. So the length of line a reel can hold should be inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the line, not the diameter as the Alvey manual suggests.

Other things being equal, the strength of the line should be proportional to its cross-sectional area. That means a reel's line capacity should be inversely proportional to the strength of the line. Which leads to a better rule of thumb for approximating reel capacity:

Multiply the known capacity by the known strength and divide by the desired strength.

For example, a Penn Squidder 140L is supposed to hold 350 yards of 20 pound mono. How much 30 pound mono will it hold? Answer: 350*20/30 which google says is about 230 yards.

Any engineers out there to check my reasoning?

View Post

So the length of line a reel can hold should be inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the line.

right, and the cross section area is directly proportional to the square of the diameter (or radius) of the line, since area = pi * radius squared.

Also the volume caused by the gaps between wraps should be taken into consideration, since bigger line causes biggerer gaps between turns, thus reducing the amount of line you can put on the reel.

View PostOther things being equal, the strength of the line should be proportional to its cross-sectional area.

Any engineers out there to check my reasoning?

not necessarily, especially for braid. there is a huge jump between 50 and 65lb PP.

when I first read 'mental masturbation' I immediately thought this had something to deal with having a reel with the biggest line capacity possible even though you don't need it. Why I bought that spheros 14000 and paid 7 bucks to ship it back 3 days later? Yeah I'm becoming a gear freak too cwm13.gifkooky.giffreak.gif

yeah there is a good line calculator from accurate website

http://www.accuratefishing.com/support/linecal.php

I wouldn't use the breaking strength as line manufacturers seem to low ball this number. Use the ratio of the square of the gauges as this is proportinal to the crosssectional area of the line. It looks like that's what the line capacity calculator on the site does Accurate.