Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cohokid

Kicker size

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have a 16' Lund w/25 4stroke yami . I fish in ocean and rivers.[ Long island sound and Ct river] I have a good anchor. Want to get a kicker for saftey. Will a 6hp do the trick? There is a guy in town that has a 2008 yami 6hp 2 stroke long shaft / $650. Should i stay with 4 stroke and use same gas or have separate mixed gas can? Thanks for any feedback...D

Why a kicker? I have a 16 tin with a 30 4st suzuki, a 55 foot pedal trolling motor on the front and a 50 tiller on the back. Unless your experiencing problems, why an auxiliary. My opinion, go two bank and get a good electric, will aide in boat positioning too. This is a fresh water boat that is rigged awesome!!biggrin.gif

Back to original question, size wise. I had an old 6 hp evinrude (72' ?) on a 21' salmon trolling boat and it was plenty. Have a 6hp merc. 4st that I use to keep on the back of my montauk and that would push it!, and had a honda 9.9 4st. high thrust on a 23' grady that would push it at 7kn. with a full load. Yes, that motor is plenty!!!

Plenty of power from the 6 but perhaps more weight than you will like. I use a 3.5 Nissan 2 stroke (27 lb) on my 16' Sea Nymph(30hp Nissan as main) which is fine for anything except strong river currents. I do a lot of saltwater boating-wouldn't think of leaving my kicker or my oars at home. The 2 stroke 30 hp Nissan (1987) has been so reliable the kicker just gets test run a couple of times each year. I also like my electric for fishing but it lacks the range to be a useful back up at the distances I like to travel.