Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
No Quarter

How do you find a slow leak?

17 posts in this topic

The title says it all, this year I've been getting water in the yak. Not alot of water, probably about a cup or two after being out for a few hours. The last few trips i've been out. I've been in calm protected areas last few times out so I don't think it's above the water line. I did the obvious check underneath for deep gouges and checked out the inside but can't seem to find out where the leak is.

First thing I would do is put the boat up on horses at night and put work light inside it. That should tell you a lot.

You may also need to re-bed some hardware at some point. Even a good seal doesn't last forever.

And check the plug for a good fit.

The other method would be to put water inside your hull and watch, but that includes a lot of strain. Eight pounds a gallon adds up fast.

Check around the scupper holes to see if there are any cracks.Are you sure its dry when you drop in? Maybe some of the hatch seals aren't tight.

That small of an amount is probably leaky hardware. Pull everything you can get to and reseat, preferably with SS nuts and bolts. Everything else, try to seal as best as possible. Don't worry about a cup or two. Everything I have has water in it except my original perception swing. Dry as a freaking bone inside of that yak. Scott

With small leaks - I've added water inside the hull with a few drops of food coloring (won't stain unless it sits in there for a really extended time). Fill it up to the normal water line and check for any leaks. Also be sure to manipulate the kayak by adding weight to it (just push down on it). Some cracks expose themselves only when loaded up with the weight of its operator. The food coloring should help you pinpoint exact spots.

I'd bet a dollar that its a leak in the scuppers. I finally found mine by plugging them all in the bottom and then filling each post/hole one at a time with water. Then reach in the hull and see if the post is moist.

Depending on the age of the boat, you may have a warranty claim here.

Like Barrel said, compressed air works great. All you need is 5 to 10lbs of constant air. A little compressor with adjustable regulator or small electric plug-in for an air mattress will work. Insert the nozzel or hose at the drain plug, use duck tape to seal, tighten all hatches and fill. Use dish washing liquid and water in a spray bottle, fill with air, spray and go to town over every nook and cranny top to bottom, including scupper drains. You will find the leaks.

I get a little bit of water through the drain plug regularly. I guess i could teflon tape it.. but its not a big deal to me. I normally just grab a towel at the end of a trip and use that to sop it up.

I would throw two car wash sponges in there and call it a day!

Someone mentioned putting water inside the yak.Be very careful as to support the boat properly on horses and dont fill it to much. the water weight will fold that puppy in half! GL

Well I tried the spotlight at night and couldn't find any light shining through. Fishing in rocky RI I have a lot of scars on the bottom, but I went over the bottom real well and couldn't find a leak there.

The yak is a tarpon 120, a few years old. It doesn't have a drain plug...the hole was never drilled out. headscratch.gif

I'll try to rule out the scupper holes tonight/tomorrow, and if I still can't find the leak I guess i'll try the air compressor method by duct taping over a hatch.

View PostWell I tried the spotlight at night and couldn't find any light shining through. Fishing in rocky RI I have a lot of scars on the bottom, but I went over the bottom real well and couldn't find a leak there.

The yak is a tarpon 120, a few years old. It doesn't have a drain plug...the hole was never drilled out. headscratch.gif

I'll try to rule out the scupper holes tonight/tomorrow, and if I still can't find the leak I guess i'll try the air compressor method by duct taping over a hatch.

Put a drain plug in they are only a couple bucks. We add one to the bow of most Hobies sold to avoid grinding the rudder into the ground.

I used to work pt in a shop that sold yaks. We found leaks by putting water in the hull. Most of the leaks we found on SOT yaks were around the scuppers where the hull was thin...pinholes (which leaked but were not visible with the naked eye). Roto molding creates it own problems and this is one of them. It was rare to see molding problems with WS boats though.

you find a slow leak- very slowly!

You may want to try filiing the hull with water and adding maybe food coloring dye to the water. The question then becomes how to fix that plastic.