Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StriperRon

Launch ramps

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I live now in Yarmouth. This morning scouted launch ramps from Portland's East End to Freeport.

There is a ramp here in Yarmouth, but the basin needs dredging. The public ramp is fine at high tide, but low tides really narrow up the river. You need to know the channel well to keep in deep water, even from the ramp out. Launches in the dark will require good knowledge of the channel.

I was surprised how few there in that stretch of coastline that are deep enough even for my 18' center console.

Used to launch in the Saco River all the time. Hate that long distance no-wake zone.

The Royal River in Yarmouth is plenty deep enough even at low tide. The channel is well marked all the way out to Mosiers. I launch an Eastern 22 there at all tides and have never had any problems. It does get narrow, but guys run 50 foot Grand Banks and other large boats in there all season. Night time can be a little tricky as the channel markers are not illuminated.

Thanks MKZ. I see large boats at the marinas on the Royal. Guess I should give it a try.

Yesterday I was ready to launch there. A large boat was at the Town ramp, stuck on its prop on the concrete, so I didn't launch.

I will give it another try. Thanks again.