Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yougster

Bluegills

3 posts in this topic

I was at my pond yesterday and I saw a fly guy casting off the lake and all he was catching was blue gills. BTW, this was my first time fw fishing, so i had some flies with me and i tied one on and dropped it off a bridge. Right away a BG took it. So now I am thinking that I would use flies like a mackeral line. I tied 3 flies to a line and today i am going to try it. Maybe this is common, i dont know. I miht catch 3 BG at a time.

View PostI was at my pond yesterday and I saw a fly guy casting off the lake and all he was catching was blue gills. BTW, this was my first time fw fishing, so i had some flies with me and i tied one on and dropped it off a bridge. Right away a BG took it. So now I am thinking that I would use flies like a mackeral line. I tied 3 flies to a line and today i am going to try it. Maybe this is common, i dont know. I miht catch 3 BG at a time.

you can also buy a sabiki rig w/ 5 or 6 hooks, I'm sure you could load up. checked em out at Dicks SG last week, they make em w/ flouro now too

May want to check your local regs. There are often limits on how many hooks you can have on one line. I doubt you are pushing it with 3, but better safe then sorry. Flys for bluegills can be a blast. If you don't have a fly rod and need casting weight try a small bobber as far up the line as you can get it and still cast well (3-4 feet at the least). Then just pop it every once in a while.