Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbuck28

Best striper taxidermy

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

A properly done skin mount will last a lifetime and look 1000x better than a fiberglass replica. here's a couple 50's from my father and i. pics are bad but you get the idea. BTW Northeast Taxidermy in CT does the best striper skin mounts in my opinion. they take a long time and are rather expensive, but when i get my 60, it's going to them.

View PostAlive today...Janet Messineo on thaaaah Vinnnnyaad.

+1!! She is awesome!! She did a bonito for me about 14 years ago and it still looks as good as the day she did it.

If I ever get a 55+ I will probably get her to do that as well

View PostA properly done skin mount will last a lifetime and look 1000x better than a fiberglass replica. here's a couple 50's from my father and i. pics are bad but you get the idea. BTW Northeast Taxidermy in CT does the best striper skin mounts in my opinion. they take a long time and are rather expensive, but when i get my 60, it's going to them.

Northeast Taxidermy +1. I caught 2 over 50 last year and really debated having a skin mount done. I did alot of research and no one elses work compares to NET. My problem was the cost... $19.25 per inch. The bigger of the 2 was 52 3/4 inches, $1100 for a fish mount! kooky.gif Not for me...pictures accomplish the same thing as far as I'm concerned. 60+ pounds and I'll have one mounted.

View PostOh yeah, they wanted 50% up front and told me it would take 9-12 months to get it back.

when i got mine in 98 the cost was like 600$ for a 53 1/2" fish. my father got his in 2004 and it was around 1300$. it took me about 6 months to get mine, his was over a year and a half. they are unbelievable though. i'll never mount another bass unless i get one over 60.

View Postwhen i got mine in 98 the cost was like 600$ for a 53 1/2" fish. my father got his in 2004 and it was around 1300$. it took me about 6 months to get mine, his was over a year and a half. they are unbelievable though. i'll never mount another bass unless i get one over 60.

Your mounts look beautiful...Congrats on a couple of pig2.gifpig2.gifpig2.gif !

Hope you get your 60! Good luck.

I plan on catching my 60 this July redface.gif , but I'm not holding my breath!

those are some beautiful mounts you got there. Congrats. I had one done by Wally Brown in 90. Sad he is gone. What a wealth of information he was. Very accomplished fisherman. 11 bucks an inch back then, I think. Long time ago. Don't think I have looked at that thing in a year. Cost me about 600. I had to think real hard about spending the cash but am so glad i did it now. took a good 9 months as he was a real popular guy. I am happy with it and has stood up good. Ones enough though. If I can't sell it back it will go to swim and I hope if i do get another it will be off season.

Skin mounts take a long time because the skin has to cure first, and that takes a few months, or even longer. I think that Janet once wrote that the skin stays in the freezer for a year before she'll start working on the mount.

Bad skin mounts look like crap after only a few years.

And there aren't a lot of people doing skin mounts any more.

She did a 65 lber I got back in 98. Took her a year. She did it in an attack mode with fins out, mouth open and tail sweeping off the wall. I dont know if she still does skin mounts but she has my vote. Dont waste your money on fiberglass.