Followers 0
iphish

Trailer running lights question

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Directional L and R work fine

Brake lights L and R work fine.

Back up lights L and R work fine.

The running lights, when my lghts are on and engine running do not come on. I have LED lights- all led bulbs work. The brown wire connects to both lights, but apparently that wouldn't be problem considering the other lights work.

Before I start monkeying with it later today anyone out there wish to take a stab of what to look for first?

The left and right signal lights are each separate from the tail lights and they're OK. The brake lights are nothing more than lighting the left and right signal lights simultaneously so they're OK too. The ground is OK as the brake & signal lights need the ground to light. I'm assuming by your post that the side running lights are out but the taillights are OK? If that's true, since the running lights and the tail lights are all on the same circuit, it would seem to point to corrosion of the wiring harness where the lead breaks off for the running lights. Less likely but possible is that all your running lights are corroded, as they don't seem to be as durable as LED tail lights. Good luck.

Thanks for pointng that out, my running lights- the yellow ones are on. It's my rear facing lights that are the issue. My neighbor said that the hitch ball acts as a ground-mine is rusty, but I would think it wouldn't matter with my tail lites working at some capacity (?)headscratch.gif

I borrowed a 4 point tester, sticking it in the real receptical of the truck, works fine.

I also noticed my light bar does not light either

as fate would have it I didn't get to monkey with it today. Tomorrow's the day

The white wire provides the the ground.Generally if you have a bad ground the running lights come on dim,but when you step on the brake everything goes out. In your case you will have to take a test light (make SURE you have a good ground on the test light,try the yellow or green wires with the directional on to make sure your test light works,run a long jumper back to the tow vehicle if necessary) and follow the brown wire.You can "assume" the ground to the rear lights "should" be good,since the brake and directionals work.If you have power going into the rear lights with the parking light switch on obviously the light are N.G. If not then wire is broken somewhere between the last side marker that is lit and the rear lights. Wouldnt be the first time a rodent has climbed inside the frame and chewed thru the insulation on the wires.

View PostThanks for pointng that out, my running lights- the yellow ones are on. It's my rear facing lights that are the issue. My neighbor said that the hitch ball acts as a ground-mine is rusty, but I would think it wouldn't matter with my tail lites working at some capacity (?)headscratch.gif

I borrowed a 4 point tester, sticking it in the real receptical of the truck, works fine.

I also noticed my light bar does not light either

as fate would have it I didn't get to monkey with it today. Tomorrow's the day

Your gound is provided by the white wire. The hitch ball is not supposed to be part of the circuit although sometimes it does get shanghied into active duty when the white wire ground is defective. All running lights and tail lights are one the same circuit. Another words, everything except brake and stop lights is lumped together. If some of it works and some doesn't the trouble is in the trailer (bad harness or bad lites)

Good luck

Ed