Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Turd Ferguson

Circle Hook and Bunker

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hey all,

When I was out last weekend I found myself pondering which circle hooks I should use for live lining the bunker I had in my well. I had some Gamakatsu Offset Octopus Circles in 9/0 that I was using, but found myself gut hooking fish. headscratch.gif Is this because they are offset? I found some Big Eye circles and Non-Offset circles where I work (Sporting goods store) and I was wondering if they would be better than the Octopus? If so, which should I go with? I also saw some very nice looking Owner Octopus circles that I would be interested in using. Any Recommendations?

And I'm trying to steer away from J-hooks a little, although I did have great success with them last weekend.

I just don't have the confidence with circle hooks that I have with regular Octopus hooks. I had 5 bass yesterday. 4 were hooked right in the mouth with a 9/0 Gamakatsu Octopus while live lining bunker. The only fish that was gut hooked was on a bunker snag hook. Gamakatsu's circles should be fine. Just resist setting the hook. Just come tight with your line after you let the fish take the bunker.

View PostI just don't have the confidence with circle hooks that I have with regular Octopus hooks. I had 5 bass yesterday. 4 were hooked right in the mouth with a 9/0 Gamakatsu Octopus while live lining bunker. The only fish that was gut hooked was on a bunker snag hook. Gamakatsu's circles should be fine. Just resist setting the hook. Just come tight with your line after you let the fish take the bunker.

Thats what I have been doing with the circles. You can't set the hook or you'll pull it out of the fish's mouth. I might have to try the 9/0 octopus j's.

They are really corkscrew hooks, so they will impale anywhere if there is pressure pushing the point of the hook there (and I find they can even hook the roof of the mouth of fish that bite down on the hook with their teeth).

you don't set the hook when using circle hooks, that's what I was told, just keep constant tension and the fish will hook itself. shaky.gif

I hooked in to the TAIL of a 3 - 3.5ft shark once w/ a circle hook and landed it. What were the chances headscratch.gifkooky.gif?

View Postyou don't set the hook when using circle hooks, that's what I was told, just keep constant tension and the fish will hook itself. shaky.gif

I hooked in to the TAIL of a 3 - 3.5ft shark once w/ a circle hook and landed it. What were the chances headscratch.gifkooky.gif?

That's correct. All you have to do is wait for the line to tighten and slowly raise the rod to fish-fighting position.

I've found that most gami and owner circles have two problems - they are the wrong shape (not a traditional circle hook) and I think they are almost too sharp so they catch on the first thing they touch, including soft stomach tissue.

Last year I was rummaging through my basement and discovered an old box of 14/0 Mustad 39960D circles. These are basically the original heavy wire circle hooks designed decades ago for longlining. They need some sharpening out of the box, but once you do that, they are great hooks. Cheap and super strong, and the traditional design has the best lip hook ratio of any circle I've ever seen. I'd definitely suggest that you try these. This is one case where the newer, fancier models are not better!

Try Eagle Claw L2004ELF in size 8/0. This hook has worked very well for me live lining bunker. My buddy runs a charter in NJ and this is all he uses. This hook also works well chunking. Try to avoid offset circle hooks.

I liked the idea, will apply for sure...

DBS

View PostI bougt a couple of Captain Al's DVDs to help get thru the cabin fever a couple years ago.

I really like this method, it works well!!

he has some clips on UTube under skimmeroutdoors or capt Al.

" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKH5R...eature=related

CW