Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hipkvw

"The Transission" HELP!!!!!!

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have been making flies for a bit more than a year. I have 3 really sweet fly setups. I cast OK. My problem is I love pluggin' and light tackle and find myself not flyfishing. The crazy thing is I want to! Bad! Sometimes I leave it home, which wont happen anymore, and run into perfect conditions for the fly rod! I guess I feel like I dont want to do it until I am great at it. Problem is I cant get good or great if I dont do it! I know the answer...leave everything else home. I need to start doing that. Any of you go through this??? I am not worried about getting skunked so that isnt an issue.

Hipkv,

I used to do the same thing. The only way you can avoid this is to leave the spinning gear home! The only time I would bring spinning gear is if you know there is going to be a lot of wind. Good Luck! smile.gif

I think BH said it icon14.gif . I love to fly fish, but I also love to throw plugs. I find great enjoyment in both styles. But if you want to fish the fly gear more often, just as BH says, leave the spinning gear at home. Sort of "force" yourself to fish flies or not at all. I like to check the weather just to be sure I am not going to face 10 footers and a 20 East gale, but otherwise, when you want to fly fish bring two rods, but just make sure they are both fly rods, and leave the pluggin' gear at home.

Yup - been there. Find productive spots that are conducive to flyfishing & go there with your flyrod and a handful of flies & work the water - day & night. This is the only way to improve. Sometimes I cast better at night because I'm relying on feel only.

Like yourself, I tend to be a moody fisherman - sometimes plugging, sometimes bait, sometimes ocean, sometimes backwaters, sometimes flies. But once I make up my mind what technique I will use on a trip, I stick with it & work it to the best of my ability. That means if I'm gonna flyfish, I flyfish. For me, switching between different techniques tends to be counterproductive. If you happen to have made the "wrong" decision & come up empty, so what? I've learned quite a bit on nights when I had no fish to show for my efforts.

Leave the spinning rods home!!!! That's the only to get started. You have to get in the mindset that you either are going to catch them on the fly or you won't catch anything.

I used to be like that!

Now my spinning gear has 3" of dust on it. I usually always take it with me but never use it. I am determined to boom 80+ ft casts before the end of next season. Not going to get there with a spinning rod in my hand.

It can get frustrating sometimes but thats part of what sets us apart from other styles of fishing.

Hip,

was the same way back a few years ago. They all got it right- Leave the spin gear at home. Yea you'll get skunked even while others are hooking up and that's the worst part of it mentally but sooner or later it will come to you. Soon the only time you will even look at that other gear is at the end of the season when you realize that you didnt use it all year long so you dont have to clean it. icon14.gif

I think it helps to focus on enjoying your fly casting. When you get it dialed in and your casts are working well, that's fun and satisfying, regardless of the results in terms of fish on your line.

Am I glad you brought up this subject. The solution is very simple but so often neglected by beginners. Because you want to flyfish by no means do you have to stop all other types of fishing. You can do it all if you want BUT just make room for the flyrod and a couple of flies in whatever vehicle you fish from. Conditions may arise that make flyrodding more appealing on the day you decide to go fishing and if you do not have the rod with you, you'll only be dissappointed. Maybe the wind will be calm or the fish may be at your feet or you might just want to do some casting...if the rod isn't there, your screwed. So that solution is simple.(don't forget the stripping basket, either)

About not doing anything unless your good at it let me say this; it's the getting there that's good! The time I spent learning so many new things was the BEST time of all! Don't rush it, just sit back and enjoy the journey. It will all come in due time. The time you are spending with conventional tackle is still learning to fish. You're still learning about the ocean and what lives in it and how to catch it. Flyfishing is just another way.... to do the same thing!

Remember, fish and fish to enjoy yourself. Never lose sight of that. Go at your own pace and enjoy it all the way. Best of luck.

BobPop,>----<o>

My solution is to take the popping rod. I've learned over the past couple of season's that Lefty's "Pop 'n Swap" is really effective on shoreline structure. Here's something I wrote up on the topic:

Prospect with a spinning rod using a popper. This allows you to throw up to 50 yards and you can actually draw them in using the popper. The problem with the popper is that the bait is big, stripers tend to smash it two or three times trying to stun the bait. Sometimes they scare themselves and vacate the area. You can try to let your popper sit and hope for a comeback. This often works. Don't set the hook until you feel the weight of the fish.

A better method is to throw out a small floating fly after the initial smash. I like the Gurgler, but a fly popper or crease fly would work just fine as well. This results in immediate hookups because the bait is small enough to for the stripers to just flare his gills and eat the bait.

I did some "research" recently and here was the cadence of events at a favorite shallow water spot of mine....

"¢\tI threw the popper 50 yards - smash, miss, miss, BANG hookup.

"¢\tThrew out Gurgler 60 feet - hookup, hookup..... hookup. Nothing.

"¢\tThrow popper 50 yards. Smash, miss, miss, hookup, miss

"¢\tThrow out Gurgler hookup, hookup......nothing

And so on.

Finally, it's easier to release these fish at the boat than with a popper with two treble hooks, NASTY!

Thanks a lot guys. Bob, What you said makes sense. I remember when I was largemouth bass fishing, learning how to use conventionals and the backlashes I would get when I forgot I wasnt that good yet. Now thats all I use. I only use one or two spinning rods and that in the surf plugging. I hope to get there in time with fly gear. Learning the water is a lifelong thing no matter what gear you are using....good point. Thanks everyone for your encouragement.

Hip,

I think you are going to see a big difference in your approach to fishing after a winter of doing the whole fly fishing club thing. Soak up the knowledge, tweek the casting with the help of some of the other members and tie up some flies. It's all good.