Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wdbrand

What is the best way to put

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I like to use guide foot adhesive to secure the foot to the blank (and also provide a little cushion so that the metal of the guide does not rub on the blank during flexing), wrap the guide and put 2 coats of flex-coat finish on. That works well for me on both new rods and older ones.

A lot of builders use the temporary guide cement to hold guides to facilitate wrapping - but I like to stay away from it because I think it inhibits the thread finish from migrating under the guide feet. Also - since the cement is designed so that you can manuver the guide small distances it really will not stand-up to stress very well.

To insure that the guides do not "rock" when the rod flexes just be sure to fill the guide tunnels very well. And make sure that you provide a lot of finish in the foot area so it can wick into the foot area.

When I get to my other computer I will post pics of epoxy penetration with thread removed.

But I like Billy's response the best - seriously

Herb

View Post (and also provide a little cushion so that the metal of the guide does not rub on the blank during flexing),.

Common sense 101, from the scriptures of B:40 > If the blank is going to get damaged by metal guide feet, so will a dot of glue. Common sense tells us that the blank is harder and much more durable than hot melt craft glue.