Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
srm413

9 weight intermediates

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

View Postopinions on the easiest 9 wt intermediate to cast distances? finesse is not an issue.

I have been using the RIO Outbound Short now for a while and it makes my TFO TICRX rods cannons.

I like the RIOs but I like the Royal Wulff triangle tapers way more. They cast very nicely and have no problem turning over big flat wings. Distance and finesse in one very nice line.

View PostI like the RIOs but I like the Royal Wulff triangle tapers way more. They cast very nicely and have no problem turning over big flat wings. Distance and finesse in one very nice line.

X2

The best I've ever used is my current one - Rio Outbound short - coldwater in my case - with my TFO TICR-X. We have a persistent westerly here in SF Bay area, and the short head cuts through it like a knife. The water temp has been about 49 and the running line has remained supple, which translates to: no problem shooting out the contents of your stripping basket in the chilly AM hours, and no problem stuffing back in during your retrieve.

I love my Rio outbound short, it is a floating running line, part of the head is floating, with an intermediate tip. It is my go to line for swinging flies through outflows and fishing shallow flats and drop offs. I also have a couple Wulff TT and BTT, both floating and great lines as well.

I pair these up with my TFO Axiom, and my observations between the two lines is this:

The outbound short loads very quickly, without much line in the air, a plus for situations where you are retrieving back close to you. The Wulff TT needs more line in the air to load properly, but I can cast the TT farther and it comes down softly, whereas the outbound short tends to splash down a little.

So depending on what type of fishing you do, one might make sense more than the other, or better yet, try both. By the way, I primarily wade fish.

Hi,

I should probably make this a new thread - but here goes.

Firstly - I love my RIO OB Short #10 on my 10'6" switch rod. I can't seem to get the hang of it with 9' rods. But I should probably keep at ti since many love it.

Anyway-the #10 RIO OB Short weight 425gr. A #9 line weighs 240gr. A #13 line weighs 450gr. So using a RIO OB is the equivalent of overlining by 4 line weights.

That is why the OB's load the rod so deeply and why you can chuck a huge fly. Why not just overline the rod by 1,2,3 or more line weight until you get the effect you want - with the taper you want.

Wife's calling me to go to the gym - got to go.

Herb

View PostX3 - but the saltwater monoclear lines. Close second - In very cold water - the Airflo cold water striper clear.

Herb

Herb and I are in spot on agreement.

Wulff first for me then Airflow. These are the only intermediates that I stock

View Post

Anyway-the #10 RIO OB Short weight 425gr. A #9 line weighs 240gr. A #13 line weighs 450gr. So using a RIO OB is the equivalent of overlining by 4 line weights.

That is why the OB's load the rod so deeply and why you can chuck a huge fly.

Herb

There are more variables in line weights. AFTM is a standard for only first 30ft of fly line (not counting 6'' tip) and longer the line becomes it weights more. When comparing OutBounds to other lines which are closer to standard they looks to be 1 to 2 wt heavier. When comparing Rio OBS and RIOMax shooting heads later has 2 higher number for same lenght and almost similar taper which is very strange.

Crunch,

The Wulff's, which I use, have a 30' head - same as the RIO OB. But you are correct for the RIO Striper which has a 40' head. I tried the RIO striper lines to see if I could get longer casts with more line in the air - but for deep wading or steep beaches behind me I found I ticked the water or sand - so I am dumping them.

Herb

Have had good experiences since last year with Cortland's 444 Classic Clear intermediate in an 8-sweight, which has a 30' head and is nice for close-in casting from my boat to docks and bridges for winter and spring snook when water is cooler and for summer stripers; and the Cortland Precision Striper Intermediate in a 10-weight for stripers in calm surf and back-bay wading with its 40' head.

Also use an old Sci Anglers 9-weight Intermediate Mastery Series Striper line in surf color has a haze blue color, 38' head, but I'm not sure if this line is still made. It will probably need replacing this summer, and from comments posted in this discussion, maybe I'll give a Royal Wulff line a try.

Matching fly rods and fly lines seems like a mix of black art and magic, with a little luck thrown in.