Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fischerman21

Emerald Isle

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

ill be heading down to NC the first week of August and already have a charter booked and know of a bogue inlet pier where i will also be doing a little fishing. i was just looking for some tips and possible other areas to check out and fish while im down there. anyone have any suggestions?

Great place been going down there in late august for 6 yrs never fished the pier only the surf plenty snapper blues. spanish under the blues and pompano .tough time of year though water temps are high best time to fish is early am before sunrise and evening into dark not too bad either check pms

linebr8kr best time to fish is early am before sunrise and evening into dark not too bad either check pms

Take this advice. August will be standard summertime fare. Spanish macks, blues, pompano. Theres always shark for bait fisherman. Be on the beach early BEFORE daylight. As light starts to break you will be able to see Spanish busting schools of minnows in the surf. This bite will last until the sun starts cresting the horizon then will start to taper off and finally stop around 8AM. Then go in for breakfast. It isn't very complicated to catch these fish. Buy some 1oz diamond jigs(cheap & they work) hopkins or glass minnows and toss them to where you see fish jump and start reeling fast. Some are far out and difficult to reach but many are in very close. A 7' rod with 10lb or less line is plenty but a longer rod will allow you to cast farther. During the day if you want to dodge the swimmers and soak some bait, fishing sand fleas for pompano can be fun. I'm not much for shark fishing but they can give a real tug if you want to fish for them late in the evening till dark. Emerald Isle is where my family spends summer every year and I've always managed to catch plenty after I figured them out(be there when the fish are there - ie. EARLY AM). Not much size to them that time of year but fun uncomplicated fishing. Enjoy your trip.

i travel to that area myself to fish, my cousins live in swansboro, don't know much about the surf game around there but if you can swing another charter i'de look into hooking up w/jeff cronk...good guy & even a better guide ..head to dudleys marina and they can fill you in...good luck

shane from boston/cape cod

Jeff is first rate. Water is really hot and fishing is really slow. Small sharks in the surf. Occasional whiting and pompano. Pups real early in the morning. Nice flounder on the wrecks. Google Jeff or Dr. Bogus or NCWaterman or NCAngler or FryingPanTower for reports